Top 10 best Coffee Machines - and what to look for in a coffee machine?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
1:18 AM
I'm one of those people who loves a cup of java in a morning (and throughout the day) but I have yet to invest in a coffee machine (I buy an expensive 'Instant' to make up for it :laugh:).

If I was to invest in a coffee machine what would I need to look out for? What are some of the pros and cons of the various different models - stove top, capsule, pod, filter, espresso, bean-to-cup - and which have you found is the best for your fresh coffee pleasure?

Can you recommend a good quality coffee machine so we can make a top 10 list for other foodies (and coffee geeks). :thumbsup:

I used to have a small Gevalia one (makes 2 full mugs) that worked great. My mom got it for free or something because she gets that kind of coffee all the time mail order. I gave it away some time go when I moved because my current apartment does not have enough counter space for me to have even a small one taking up valuable space.

I currently make cowboy coffee every morning and pour it through a tight mesh strainer into my teapot to remove most of the grounds. I actually think I get more flavor for the amount of beans I'm using that way, so I doubt I will go back to a coffee maker, even if I have the space. Plus the pan is faster to wash.

I think it all depends on what you want the cofee machine for. Do you want to make different coffees? Or just a cup of regular fresh coffee. If the latter is the case then I would go for something cheaper, not the fancy gizmos, just a coffee maker that has say a large pot. the coffee is perculated, and is then stored in the large pot, so that you can drink as and when you want., that is the type I would go for, and you can pick them up for about £30.00.

In my experience people buy expensive coffee makers with the intention of making all sorts of coffee and within a couple of weeks, it is left to sit in the corner not being used and gathering dust and you have wasted £100 or a lot more.

I currently have a kerug, I don't often drink coffee anymore but it makes a fast cup of tea! I think the best way to make coffee, as far as taste and aroma is the way DancingLady is doing, That's how we made coffee for a long time before getting the kerug . but using a cloth coffee strainer instead of a mesh strainer.

Back
Top Bottom