Top Chef vs Master Chef

Riri

Veteran
Local time
3:00 PM
I was wondering if any of you here watch any of these cooking show. I watch Top chef and Master Chef. I really love Top Chef a lot simply because I feel like I actually learn a bit here and there from the chefs. Master chef has more drama which is not my cup of tea for cooking shows. Top Chef Master is another one of my favorite. I came across a lot of ingredients from these shows that I have never heard of or ingredients that consider very 'glamour' or expensive.

I have followed Master Chef for the past two seasons and I really enjoy it. I was especially pleased to see Luca win this past season. I don't mind the drama with this show, however, I do think Hell's Kitchen is a little too over the top. But I like the range of tasks they have to complete on Master Chef, whether it is making something from a mystery box or replicating a recipe. I have never watched a full season of Top chef so I don't feel like I can critique it either way.

Oh god Hell's Kitchen...It used to have people that you feel they can cook, but now it's going down hill for me. It's like a soap opera...so bad. Jesse and Luca were my favorite on this season of Master Chef as well so I am glad that Luca won. I could not stand Krissy. I wanted her gone since long time ago and was so sure they kept her around for the drama! good thing she got send home!

I can't bear most stressy shouty competition shows.

I do enjoy The Great British Bake Off (not sure if that's made it over the Atlantic), because although there is stress for the competitors (it is a competition after all), the presenters and judges are nice and fun and always encouraging, rather than aggressive. It's the sort of atmosphere we'd like to think is typically British.

I love Top Chef as well, as it's more possible to learn a few things from the chefs for less the drama. In fact, I've picked up a few techniques from the show as well. I have never been a true fan of Masters Chef, just never really appealed to me, seemed too over the top for my liking.

I can't bear most stressy shouty competition shows.

I do enjoy The Great British Bake Off (not sure if that's made it over the Atlantic), because although there is stress for the competitors (it is a competition after all), the presenters and judges are nice and fun and always encouraging, rather than aggressive. It's the sort of atmosphere we'd like to think is typically British.

Then you'd like TOP CHEF and TOP CHEF MASTERS,Arch . There's no stressy shouty. I don't like stressy shouty as well that's why I am not a fan of Hell Kitchen. I love TOP CHEF host Padsma ,she has such high class looks and personality. She delivers the challenge and just goes straight forward 'please pack your knives and go'. Not a big fan of Curtis in TOP CHEF MASTER but I've watched it before he hosted it .This season of TOP CHEF MASTER has been interesting ,they actually have the sous chefs competing for each other to earn immunity for the chefs.

I'd for sure check to see The Great British Bake Off is anywhere online for me to watch here. Is it just baking?

+1 for The Great British Bake Off. It's the only cookery show I really make a point of watching.

@Riri Yes, it is specifically baking and I hadn't realised there were so many different styles - some of which are incredibly technical. Here is the official site: LINK

The episodes shown so far are on iPlayer, but you might not be able to view it outside the UK.

I was really into the first few seasons of Masterchef. But with this past season, it's become a lot more apparent that the show is heavily forced and altered. One of the former contestants on the show has a blog where he frequently shares information about what went on behind the scenes. For example, the dishes they cook for the challenges will sit around for hours before they are finally tasted by the judges, because they need to get all kinds of other shots taken care of first. Also, they go through days of training before each challenge, that is not shown on cam. There was also some speculation that some of the contestants on the show are actually paid actors meant to stir things up and control the story line. I also really dislike all the scripted product placement they are injecting into the show.

I like Top Chef, and enjoy seeing all the creative ways they contestants come up with to address the challenges. I dislike the arguments and other drama, but thankfully it's kept to a minimum on this show.

I managed to find previous seasons from The Great British Bake Off so I'd start watching them soon. Thanks for sharing! It kinda reminds me of TOP CHEF DESSERT with the baking which I really enjoyed.

@OhioTom76 ,Yeah I figured they got training for each challenge because there's no way all of them knew exactly what they would cook most of the times but wow..paid actors?? Did you hear about MASTERCHEF JUNIOR?Now..that..sounds like it's gonna be bad. It supposed to start sometime soon.

I have seen very little of Top Chef to be commenting on it, but Master Chef - yes. I have seen Master Chef USA, Australia, Juniors, Men vs. Ladies and just love the show. The hosts do a good job of presenting the show. Besides, I am not sure if you have noticed, but you actually see the participants transform as they move ahead at each level. They just become better and I have no clue how... So, Master Chef for me and Top Chef maybe some other time.

Back
Top Bottom