Tornado Omelet

What do you think that sauce is? It looks mushroomy, but other than that i don't have a clue.

What do you think that sauce is? It looks mushroomy, but other than that i don't have a clue.

Its meant to be a spicy sauce I believe - a sort of Japanese curry sauce. Its a fusion Japanese street food dish as far as my research tells me. There are numerous variations with different sauces, I think. Indeed the one in the video looks mushroomy. The whole dish is known as an Omurice and in some versions the omelette is not a tornado omelette. Its rather fascinating:

During the Meiji period, as Japan increased its global presence, Western ingredients and cooking techniques became fashionable, and yōshoku cuisine was was born. Omurice, one of the most popular yōshoku recipes, combines Japanese fried rice, French omelet-making technique, and American ketchup, gravy, or demi-glace.

I just realized I do have chopsticks. I will have to try but don't expect pics! :laugh:

I just realized I do have chopsticks. I will have to try but don't expect pics! :laugh:

Looking at the video again I'm realising it may not be so easy as it looks. I can see that rotating the pan is part of it - but how do you rotate two chopsticks with one hand given that your other hand is rotating the pan? I tried a 'dry run' - its hard to explain but if you try it with just chopsticks and a pan (no egg) you will understand what I mean.

Looking at the video again I'm realising it may not be so easy as it looks. I can see that rotating the pan is part of it - but how do you rotate two chopsticks with one hand given that your other hand is rotating the pan? I tried a 'dry run' - its hard to explain but if you try it with just chopsticks and a pan (no egg) you will understand what I mean.
Not that I've made one, but it sounds like a jar-opening movement - sticks in right hand, turning anti-clockwise, pan in left hand, simultaneously turning clockwise.

I know how this would turn out for me:

I thought the same on the hand turning!!

Russ

Back
Top Bottom