MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:44 PM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Torta Carrarina.jpg
Carrarina cake.jpg

The Carrarina cake takes its name from its city of origin, i.e. Massa Carrara in the Lunigiana area, in the northwest of Tuscany. It was born in that part of Tuscany (which borders on Liguria) because of the hard work at the marble quarries for which Massa Carrara is famous, the workers needed substantial and caloric food.
It is a simple cake with a thin rice base, completely covered with a substantial layer of eggs and milk.

Preparation: 20 mins, Cooking: 1 hour, Serves 4

Ingredients

• 120 g common rice suitable for desserts (small and round grains)
  • 250 g sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • ½ liter of milk
  • Lemon, grated rind
  • Vanilla extract, 2 ml
  • Rum, a small glass, or anise or marsala liqueur
  • Unsalted butter, to taste

Method
Preheat the oven.
Boil the rice in unsalted water for about 8-10 minutes. Let it cool by putting it in a bowl or cold plate. Grease with butter a baking tin with high sides, put the rice crushing it evenly with your fingers. It will be the basis of the cake.
Boil the milk together with the grated rind of the lemon and then let it cool. In a bowl whisk all the eggs, add the sugar and a small glass of rum and the vanilla in drops and mix everything together.
Now pour the milk slowly on the eggs mix in the bowl. Be careful: milk should not be warm, only slightly lukewarm or it will cook the eggs. Mix everything together.
Once you have obtained a very liquid mixture, pour it slowly on the rice in the bakin tin. Do not worry if it looks "too liquid", that's right.
Put now in the oven already hot and cook for an hour at 170 degrees. It will be ready when a light crust begins to form, but to be sure, try the toothpick. Put it in the cake and if it is dry, it is ready.
Pull it out of the oven and let it cool.

Last edited:
Gorgeous! Très bien fait - miei complimenti.

I've just come back from a long bike ride and I could dive into this head-first. Probably get loads of it in my beard (lol, lol, EVOO).

If I can find the right rice here, then I'll have a go at this. I'll avoid the rum and be careful with the 'vanillin' (I guess that's vanilla essence?) - you don't specify a quantity, but I'd imagine not much more 1/4 teaspoon?

7th line of the recipe … " Now pour the milk slowly on the rice in the bowl" … I think that should be "on the egg mixture in the bowl"...because the rice is in the baking tin...

Never mind the marble workers, I think this would be perfect for tired, cold and hungry cyclists too.

Last edited:
View attachment 21775 View attachment 21776

The Carrarina cake takes its name from its city of origin, i.e. Massa Carrara in the Lunigiana area, in the northwest of Tuscany. It was born in that part of Tuscany (which borders on Liguria) because of the hard work at the marble quarries for which Massa Carrara is famous, the workers needed substantial and caloric food.
It is a simple cake with a thin rice base, completely covered with a substantial layer of eggs and milk.

Preparation: 20 mins, Cooking: 1 hour, Serves 4

Ingredients

• 120 g common rice suitable for desserts (small and round grains)
  • 250 g sugar
  • 6 eggs
  • ½ liter of milk
  • Lemon, grated rind
  • Vanillin (optional)
  • Rum, a small glass, or anise or marsala liqueur
  • Unsalted butter, to taste

Method
Preheat the oven.
Boil the rice in unsalted water for about 8-10 minutes. Let it cool by putting it in a bowl or cold plate. Grease with butter a baking tin with high sides, put the rice crushing it evenly with your fingers. It will be the basis of the cake.
Boil the milk together with the grated rind of the lemon and then let it cool. In a bowl whisk all the eggs, add the sugar and a small glass of rum and the vanillin in drops and mix everything together.
Now pour the milk slowly on the rice in the bowl. Be careful: milk should not be warm, only slightly lukewarm or it will cook the eggs. Mix everything together.
Once you have obtained a very liquid mixture, pour it slowly on the rice in the bakin tin. Do not worry if it looks "too liquid", that's right.
Put now in the oven already hot and cook for an hour at 170 degrees. It will be ready when a light crust begins to form, but to be sure, try the toothpick. Put it in the cake and if it is dry, it is ready.
Pull it out of the oven and let it cool.
Lovely!

Back
Top Bottom