Trappist beer! What a glorious beer it is!

FrancescoS

Local time
6:08 AM
Some time ago I discovered Trappist beer. In a pub in my town, the Knulp, the friendly owners explained to me what these beers are and why they are so special and the owner when he sees me says in my language "bevi la buona birra trappista" Trappist beers brewed in these monasteries use sophisticated yeast strains to ferment them, although the flavour is created by the blend of malt and the type of yeast. This beer is brewed by or under the direct supervision of monks within a Benedictine abbey.
The monasteries brew their own beers according to their own styles and some of them even develop their own yeast strains. Depending on which Trappist beer you try, you may find it malty, sweet, spicy, fruity or caramelised.... They are really good beers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trappist beer is phenomenal. Anytime I´m travelling, that´s something I look for.
Apart from Chimay, I love Delirium Tremens, even if it´s only for the crazy bottle.
In Barcelona a few years back, I went into a bar and they served me Piraat - at 10.5°.
Then last year I picked up a bottle of Rochefort - at 11.5°
The flavours are supremely complex and delicious - but you need to sip them, like fine wines.

There are a number of fine and renowned Belgian ales, Trappist ale being just one of several. If beers and ales can be tagged with regional speciality, the Belgians have their say for sure.

Back
Top Bottom