Travel and Local Cuisine

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
5:26 PM
It has been a while since I travelled abroad, but when I do I like to sample some of the local cuisines. It is all part of the holiday experience for me. Each country has different dishes and flavours associated with the area and these are usually made using fresh local produce. I love to experiment and try new things. My sister, on the other hand, seeks out the first burger joint or pizza place as soon as she lands in the country. Her boys will only eat very plain flavours and are not willing to try out new things.

Do you prefer to stick to what you know, or are you like me in that you want to experience different international cuisines?

I love trying out different foods (within my allergy range) and often seek them or when I get home. An example of this is the tahini and grape molasses mix that we came across on Turkey for breakfast. It is lovely but is reliant on getting a really nice tahini. Getting hold of the grape molasses had been interesting. It is much thinner here in the UK even when I can find it, but I have been reading that any fruit syrup would work, so tried it with date syrup and again providing you get an nice thickish one, it is really nice with date syrup. In Turkey or was eaten on fresh bread, but I find it just as nice on toast.

Another example is sunflower seed helva, but sadly I have been unable to easily locate that in the UK. I shall have to try making my own.

I like to try regional dishes whenever I can, as a vegetarian this can be limiting at times, but in the US I tried the traditional green bean casserole which I liked and my friends all said, it was normal for them to grow up with it. I try new Thai dishes whenever I can and regional Italian sauces with my pasta.

Some people don't like to try new things, but that's how you find new favorites, by trial and error.

When I travel, sometimes I am a bit cautious when it comes to tasting new cuisines. However, there are times when I will go ahead and try something new and different. Sometimes it takes a little while to acquire the taste of some new cuisines, since I am so accustomed to what I normally eat in my hometown. Then again, there are some dishes which I can easily get a liking for. We cannot know if we would like a certain dish unless we tried it first.

Once I travelled to a country where they served the same meal almost on a daily basis. That was their staple food, and even though I found the dish to be okay, they never seemed to get tired of it and would seldom vary it. That was about the only problem I found in that particular country.

always break away from the tourist traps and try what the locals are eating,no matter where i roam,from horse to local crabs and sea food,local markets and get new products,new tastes to experience

I love traveling and eating. I actually plan my destinations based on where and what I'll be eating. The tourist traps always drop in quality because they know tourists will be coming even if they drop slightly in quality. If you even come to Taiwan, try some stinky tofu. It's delicious deep fried, broiled, and steamed.

Back
Top Bottom