Tree Bark Herbs and Spices

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
7:04 PM
At one time, I thought that there were several herbs and spices made from tree bark. But the only one that I recognize as typical is cinnamon.

That much being said, I have now found that there are many herbs and spices made from tree bark, the most common of which is Pau D'Arco (Lapacho) Bark.

Here's a list in alphabetical order ...

Birch Bark
Black Haw Tree Bark
Cinchona Bark (Source of Quinine)
Cinnamon
Cryptocarya Massoia Root Bark
Devil Tree Bark
Fringe Tree Bark
Karingali (Clutch Tree Bark)
Mauby Bark
Oak Bark
Pau D'Arco (Lapacho) Bark
Peony Bark Mu Dan Pi
Prickly Ash Bark
Quebracho Bark
Sassafras Tree Bark
Slippery Elm Bark
White Willow Bark
Wild Cherry Bark
Yohimbe Bark

I don't know, except for cinnamon, what any of these spices and herbs taste like. Nor do I know, if any are to any degree toxic or have health benefits. But you can buy them on the web.

I was going to say you´re barking up the wrong tree, FL, but then I took a look at what was around. Mostly the results talked about cinnamon ( and there are several varieties, from India, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Mexico, China) and cassia.
Then I remembered that quinine ( used in tonic water) is also a bark.
You might just be on to something there.

As Pau D'Arco Bark is the most common, after cinnamon, I did some digging. It is very often used for an herbal tea. It is said to have many health benefits, but in large doses can cause kidney and/or liver damage.

Mauby bark is also used to create an herbal beverage. It has apparently been proven to reduce high blood pressure. No ill or toxic effects are known.

It appears that many of the herbal barks have been used for many years as natural remedies for various health issues - and not to spice food.

There are several varieties of what we call "Cinnamon" - but it probably comes down to cinnamon vs cassia. Cinnamon , also known as Ceylon cinnamon, is softer, crumbles easier, has a warm, almost sweet flavour. The cinnamon you buy in Mexico also comes from Sri Lanka (Ceylon).
Cassia bark comes from South China, and is hard, and was probably the first to make its way to India. There are also versions from Viet Nam and Indonesia. Indonesian cassia is supposed to be the best. Cassia is more imposing and a bit more astringent, I´d say.
At the moment I´ve got both varieties at home and can vouch for the slight difference, although anyone would be challenged to tell the difference when ground.

Back
Top Bottom