• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:15 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Can you please tell me if you find Trending Posts/Topics/Threads of any use? I've added a poll for you to add your vote, 2 weeks from today. If you do find them useful, please don't be afraid to say so. It is just I know that I am unsure, and other moderators have indicated that they don't use them at all.

They appear in a number of areas on the forum, mostly the front page, but also on the bar above.

trending topics.png

and below the New Posts on the homepage there is also a Trending Threads section.

trending threads.png

I am looking at revising the list of add-ons that the site uses with the hope of using the money for add-ons that members don't like/don't use for other more suitable add-ons (such as one I have found that will allow you to rotate images after uploading them in case they have not uploaded in the correct orientation - something I know we have all experienced from time to time.)

But if you do find it useful, and want it to stay, you must say so now please because right now, I am looking at saving the cost of GBP £20 per annum and using it for something else.

Last edited:
My personal view as an end user of the forum (rather than my moderator/site owner hat being on), is that I'm not certain I would really notice if they were there or not. I do look at the short list on the frontpage from time to time, but tend to use the new posts button and list far more. I certainly never click on the Trending Topics link on the top bar and visit the longer full list that I have a screenshot of above (I actually hadn't clicked on it in that long, it was a surprise as to what came up!)

Is it useful - Honestly, I don't know.
Would I miss it? - No, I don't think I would.
Do I use it? - sometimes but not that often.

Rarely. Mostly I go to New Posts, unless I can't find something I'm looking for. Maybe I should have voted No.

Last edited:
As far as I can see its randomly generated or if not then I'm puzzled by what gets shown there. It doesn't seem to relate to threads which are getting the most 'hits' . What exactly is 'trending' supposed to mean?

I'll revise what I just said - as I write it seems to be displaying threads with the most 'views'. Is that the way it works? The alphabet game has been stuck at the top there for ages - is that because its long running so has a lot of views?

Sorry I'm getting tied in knots here. There are two different things - 'Trending Threads' (shown on the screen below New Threads) and 'Trending Topics' on the green toolbar. I'm now utterly confused about what the difference is and what the criteria are!

Well anyway - I never use either of them. I read New Posts.

Last edited:
Nope, I don't use it at all. I load the main page, scroll to the bottom of the list of sub forums, then scroll back up, clicking the ones that have new posts in them, and when I've read everything, I'm done.

Nope, I don't use it at all. I load the main page, scroll to the bottom of the list of sub forums, then scroll back up, clicking the ones that have new posts in them, and when I've read everything, I'm done.

Clicking on 'New Posts' pretty much does the same. It displays the latest new posts that you haven't read in threads,. There may be a few preceding posts that you haven't read as it only displays the latest.

I read everything posted on the forum and I find its the quickest way.

I am here so often that I find I read just about everything of interest to me, but don't know how I really find them. Sorry I am of no help.

I am here so often that I find I read just about everything of interest to me, but don't know how I really find them. Sorry I am of no help.

Click on 'New Posts' in the green toolbar and you get a list of all the latest posts you haven't read. There may be a few posts preceding them you also haven't read - but its the easiest way to do it, IMHO and its what I do.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 17.59.09.png

Back
Top Bottom