Turkey Soup?

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
2:14 AM
Anyone have a great turkey soup recipe for using up those Thanksgiving leftovers? We had another family dinner yesterday to accommodate part of the family, so we have turkey to use. I love homemade soup. I usually just make a turkey variation of good old chicken noodle or chicken rice. I was thinking of a cream soup maybe, for something different. I'd love to hear any and all ideas.

We don't have turkey here but maybe it is similar to chicken in terms of leftover. Although it is rare that we had leftover fried or grilled chicken, but I remember my mother mixing the chopped chicken fillet for mixing into the Chinese noodle soup. The noodle is the white and thin and soft strands called miswa. She would sautee crushed garlic and sliced onions that she flavors with fish sauce. When looking cooked, cups of water is added and when boiling, that's the time to mix the miswa. After a few minutes of boiling, the miswa is cooked and the chicken fillet is added. Best seved sizzling hot.

I never had a cream soup made with turkey. I will be interested to see what others make, I just make the traditional coup with turkey, celery, potatoes, carrots and onions and whatever other vegetable we have on hand. I also add any of the leftover gravy to it. Turkey soup is a great way to use up all that leftover turkey. You can only eat turkey for so long before you had enough. It is nice to freeze it and have it later through the winter, after all the turkey eating holidays have passed.

I would just use it in place of any chicken soup recipes I make. Chicken Tortilla is my favorite at this time of year that's chicken based, and you could easily just substitute some shredded turkey instead of shredded chicken into it. I hear you though about using up the leftover turkey - we still have some left, almost a week later...all turkeyed out over here!

I like to use up all of the leftover vegetables to make soup also you can add in some rice or noodles.

This is my first year not making this, but we normally have an annual pumpkin soup. After we carve our jack o' lantern and get a few pictures, I roast, peel, and freeze the pumpkin. I also pick sweet potato greens from the garden, clean them up, and freeze them. Later, I cook the pumpkin and greens with some leftover turkey, veggies, and gravy until everything is soft enough to puree easily. Since it's always done with leftovers, the proportions are never quite the same, but it makes a really tasty soup with more of a pumpkin base than turkey.

Yes, I think I am going to make some turkey soup this week. I will eat that until it is time to make a Christmas feast. I plan to put some noodles and vegetables in it. It should be an easy way to use up some left over turkey languishing in the freezer. It is easy to make and tastes awesome of course. I will look up a eicpe but you could also just make it on the fly. I think I want mine broth based instead of creamy.

Back
Top Bottom