Turkey vs. Chicken

Chris_A

Veteran
Local time
8:32 AM
What do you guys prefer? In my opinion, the softness and tenderness of turkey beats chicken all the time. Although this kind of meat costs a bit more then chicken usually, it is well worth it. Just compare turkey breast with chicken breast. While turkey breast literally grows when fried and has a very natural and nice taste, chicken breast becomes dry and tasteless without huge amounts of seasoning.

I eat more chicken than turkey, but I agree with the tenderness of the turkey being better than the chicken, not to mention turkey is more moist usually and has a richer taste. I have gotten a bit sick of chicken to be honest!. I can't eat grilled chicken anymore, I have eaten it way too much. Now I'm focusing more on lean red meats and fish. The only way I eat chicken now is by putting the chicken breasts in the oven, because this way they get moist and retain the seasoning better.

Turkey is one of those meats I don't think about unless I am doing the full holiday meal. Cooking for one makes cooking a whole turkey a bit silly. I rarely see turkey meat in the store, but I am sure that there is somewhere in town to find turkey breasts for example. I do tend to like turkey a bit better than chicken and would welcome the change.

I am a fan of turkey! I love the flavor more than chicken and am so over chicken at this point. I made some turkey meatballs the other night and they were amazing. They were so easy to cook and so flavorful. Ground turkey saves me so much time in the kitchen too!

I enjoy both, but if I have to choose one then it's definitely chicken. It's my favourite meat by far!

I came looking for some chicken recipes and stumbled on this comparison. For me chicken wins everything time. For turkey to be truly appealing it has to be prepared by someone who know how to handle the thick meat and make it soft and succulent. In the wrong hands and depending on the turkey in question, you run the risk of ending up with a dry, tasteless meat. I don't see that happening with chicken. I think chicken is easier to work with and easier to flavour. I am going with chicken any day.

Tough one, since I like them both, but only in specific dishes. Depending on the dish, I think of turkey as being too gamey tasting and the meat too fibrous when compared to chicken. For example, I wouldn't want to make a traditional chicken marsala with turkey cutlets - I don't think the turkey flavor would go well with the wine and the meat wouldn't be as tender as a chicken breast. However a large turkey breast roasts up nicely in the oven, and is fantastic served with gravy and stuffing. Generally speaking I kind of treat the large turkey breast much like I would a pork or a beef roast, only that the cook much faster. I'm not particularly crazy about turkey thighs or legs either - since they have such a strong taste, but I can tolerate them in a lot of gravy or shredded into a strong bbq sauce.

I do however like ground turkey over ground chicken in most cases. Ground chicken is often far too sticky, and becomes too dense when trying to form it into a patty to grill or fry. Turkey will maintain some of it's texture, more like a ground beef patty, when compared to chicken. I also really like the flavor of turkey in meatballs and sausages.

I baked some turkey wings today. My husband had seasoned them beforehand and he did a good job. I am sure he could eat them all himself. I had to prepare some chicken for my son who just isn't coming around about the turkey. It's a little tricky sometimes when not everyone is into a particular meat or dish.

Turkey for me is just a fish for Christmas I cook around 30 whole birds in December at work and that's enough for me for the year
I prefer chicken , normally smaller in size easier to cook and more readily available fresh

I like turkey a llittle better than chicken. When we eat chicken it is baked instead of fried.

I must admit that I only cook turkey once a year - at Christmas. Nobody in the family likes it all that much, yet when I suggest cooking an alternative bird for the festive dinner, I am met with much disapproval!

I prefer to cook chicken breasts in the oven, with the skin still on to retain moisture. I'll discard the skin before eating though, I can't stand the stuff.

I love turkey but it's so much work to make a turkey dinner that I'll buy a turkey breast and roast it. It's so much quicker and you still get a delicious turkey dinner but no dark meat. There is something very comforting about a turkey dinner - must be the spices in the stuffing and the cranberry sauce.

Moneywise, there's more meat on a turkey, less waste. Better value when there's more eating a meal.
Dry compared to a chicken, also larger than a chicken so more than one meal normally. But depends on number eating it.

Pardon me if you are a turkey lover. My husband is fond of exotic or not ordinary food lilke goat's meat, duck's meat, quail, frog's legs, etc. One time there was a sale of turkey drumsticks. Even if it is on sale, the price is still over the price of chicken. But just to taste it, we bought a few drumsticks. Whoa, quite big that one drumstick is over the capacity of one person. After marinating like what we do with chicken, we fried it. Gee, it looks good but the aroma is not that good. And when we finally ate it, not so good. Our description is this - turkey meat tastes like medicine.

I love eating chicken because it is the kind of poultry that is always available anytime in our place. We can do many recipes for chicken and that makes it to be my favorite thing to cook most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom