Turkish food

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:49 AM
I first tried Turkish food many years ago in Melbourne, lygon st to be precise, it's full of restaurants. We were down there and couldn't decide what to eat. I said let's try something different. So we went Turkish, neither of us knew what to order, so I said just bring us a mixture. We had the best night ever. I've been back but the restaurant is gone. So I'm taping rick stein Turkish series. I watched first episode last night and my thirst for knowledge is awake now. I'm trying a chicken sumac recipe and a pumpkin and onion dish soon.
Any tips or sites that you guys use. I can't remember what original dishes we are, I think??? Dolma des but that's Greek isn't it??

Russ

Last edited:
Most of the countries in that part of the world have their own versions of stuffed grape leaves. Turkey is no exception. I think they are just Dolma in Turkey.

Do you use or make something called sulcher sp??? That's how it's pronounced, tomatoes dried in the sun. I've never heard of it . They use it a lot there.

Cheers

Russ

Most of the countries in that part of the world have their own versions of stuffed grape leaves. Turkey is no exception. I think they are just Dolma in Turkey.

We have a Mediterranean store near me, I saw about 6 months ago grape leaves in oil in glass jar. About 12 leaves for $20 , I'm not Paying that!! Think I'll giggle it and pinch some of my friend dafyds leaves.

Russ

Do you use or make something called sulcher sp??? That's how it's pronounced, tomatoes dried in the sun. I've never heard of it . They use it a lot there.

Cheers

Russ

Salça - its a sun-dried tomato paste. Turkish recipe using it from Rick Stein: Baked Pumpkin With Sun-Dried Tomato Paste & Crispy Onions (Sinkonta) - The Happy Foodie.

Traditionally made from scratch which is a lengthy and messy process (I read). I found it available in jars here. Salça means 'sauce' and the other famous Turkish one is Biber Salça which is hot charred red pepper sauce. That one is easier to make I think. In fact - its given me an idea.

Salça - its a sun-dried tomato paste. Turkish recipe using it from Rick Stein: Baked Pumpkin With Sun-Dried Tomato Paste & Crispy Onions (Sinkonta) - The Happy Foodie.

Traditionally made from scratch which is a lengthy and messy process (I read). I found it available in jars here. Salça means 'sauce' and the other famous Turkish one is Biber Salça which is hot charred red pepper sauce. That one is easier to make I think. In fact - its given me an idea.
That's the same recipe I'm making, the pumpkin one. Looks so yummy, with sumac chicken. I'll kill two birds with one stone.

Russ

Thanks for the spelling. I will check it out later. I could make that I reckon.

Russ

Just found this topic, but unfortunately it seems to be dead now :(

It can be revived. Was just about to mention Hungry Man as a cb member with Turkish food great recipes..and then I saw the dates...
In my earlier days I was very fond of Baklava, the version with lots of walnuts and lovely sweet syrup...is that Turkish?

It can be revived. Was just about to mention Hungry Man as a cb member with Turkish food great recipes..and then I saw the dates...
In my earlier days I was very fond of Baklava, the version with lots of walnuts and lovely sweet syrup...is that Turkish?
Middle East, Eastern Mediterranean, Balkans, Caucasia; Turks, Arabs, Jews, Greeks, Armenians, Bulgarians of today who introduce baklava as their national dessert were all part of the Ottoman empire once where baklava was made in the palace mainly for the royalty.

For me it's best version is in Turkey, especially from the city of Antep. I tried baklava in famous places in Greece and in some ME countries and Egypt, they are not close to a good Turkish baklava. (I've also come across to very bad quality Turkish baklava in Europe).
The photo below is from my favorite baklava shop (Imam Cagdas) in Antep:

Back
Top Bottom