Round Pide with Cheese and Egg – Turkish Pizza Pide
- 300 g 00 flour
- 200 ml water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- 5 g active dry yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 250 g Turkish golot cheese (alternative: kasar or dry mozzarella)
- 1 egg
- 50 g butter
- For the dough, in a bowl mix the sugar in the luke warm water and add the dry yeast.
- Add the oil, mix and let it sit for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.
- Then add the flour and the salt.
- Mix well with a wooden spoon until a slightly sticky dough forms
- Knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic
- Cover with a plastic wrap and let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a floured working surface and divide the dough into two dough balls
- Transfer the doughs onto a baking sheet, cover and let them rise for 1 hour
- In the meantime, shred the cheese and keep it in a bowl for the topping
- Sprinkle flour on your working surface and the dough.
- Gently press the dough with your finger tips and shape the dough into a large disc
- Crack open 1 egg and separate the yolk
- Transfer onto a baking sheet and brush the edges of the dough with egg white
- Fold the edges towards the center and seal with your fingers on the brushed parts
- Lightly sprinkle water on the center of the dough
- Heat the oven to 230°C / 450°F and bake the dough until it’s slightly baked
- Remove the dough and layer the shredded cheese on top.
- Lightly sprinkle water on the center of the dough and add small pieces of butter
- Bake again in the oven for 3-4 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and add the egg yolk and bake for another 1-2 mins until the egg yolk is slightly cooked and still runny