Recipe Turmeric Basmati Rice

ElizabethB

Guru
Local time
5:44 PM
In my humble opinion - a versatile side dish. Good as a side on it's own or served with gravy. I can also see it used for breakfast with bacon and runny eggs.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup raw Basmati rice
2 cups water
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp ground Turmeric
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions - whites and greens
2 eggs
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 Tsp cornstarch
METHOD
In a sauce pan bring 2 cups water, salt and Turmeric to a boil
Add Basmati Rice. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in scallions. Whisk eggs until yolks and whites are fully combined. In a small bowl or ramekin heat stock in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Put cornstarch in another ramekin. Slowly add the stock to the cornstarch while whisking until smooth. Drizzle the stock/cornstarch mixture into the eggs whisking constantly to temper but not scramble the eggs.
Slowly add the egg mixture to the rice folding as you add the eggs.

I make something very similar on a regular basis but I usually do a mix of quinoa and basmati with diced carrots, onion, and lots of garlic, and I do not use the egg or cornstarch. Looks great though, yes!

In my humble opinion - a versatile side dish. Good as a side on it's own or served with gravy. I can also see it used for breakfast with bacon and runny eggs.
INGREDIENTS
1 cup raw Basmati rice
2 cups water
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp ground Turmeric
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions - whites and greens
2 eggs
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 Tsp cornstarch
METHOD
In a sauce pan bring 2 cups water, salt and Turmeric to a boil
Add Basmati Rice. Cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in scallions. Whisk eggs until yolks and whites are fully combined. In a small bowl or ramekin heat stock in the microwave for 30 seconds on high. Put cornstarch in another ramekin. Slowly add the stock to the cornstarch while whisking until smooth. Drizzle the stock/cornstarch mixture into the eggs whisking constantly to temper but not scramble the eggs.
Slowly add the egg mixture to the rice folding as you add the eggs.

View attachment 52907

I need to try this, thanks. :)

Russ

Back
Top Bottom