Recipe Turmeric Roasted Aubergine with Mung Bean Curry

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
4:41 AM
Turmeric has a delicate aromatic earthy taste and this recipe is designed to bring that to the fore by minimising on the other spices used. Ghee seems to emphasise the aromatic quality of the turmeric, so use it if you can. Serves 2.

IMGP1061.jpg

Ingredients
1 aubergine
100g mung beans
5-6 cherry tomatoes. chopped into quarters
1 tbsp ghee (or vegetable oil)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion finely chopped
2 tsp garlic paste
2 heaped tsp fresh turmeric (grated) (or 2 tsp ground turmeric)
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp chilli powder
Fresh turmeric, yoghurt and coriander to garnish

Method
  • Cook the mung beans in boiling water with 1/2 tsp ground turmeric until tender (approx 50 mins). Drain and set aside.
  • Heat the oven to 180C.
  • Chop the aubergine into 2 cm chunks.
  • In a bowl, mix 1 heaped tsp of fresh grated turmeric with a little water and the vegetable oil to make a paste and add the aubergine, turning to coat each piece.
  • Place the aubergine on a non-stick oven tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until softened and slightly crispy.
  • Melt the ghee in a frying pan and add the chopped onion. Cook slowly until the onion is caramelised.
  • Add the garlic paste, 1 heaped tsp of fresh grated turmeric and the chilli powder and a little water and cook for a few minutes. Add the mung beans and a little water if required to achieve a a thick soupy consistency.
  • Add the tomatoes and the aubergine and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to heat through. The tomato pieces should stay intact and fresh tasting.
  • Serve with yoghurt, coriander and freshly grated turmeric with rice or naan bread to accompany.
IMGP1059.jpg

Last edited:
I found out recently that I have eggplants planted in my garden. Why, I don't know since no one really cares that for them. Now I guess I have something to attempt except I have not discovered any mung beans. Sure looks good.

I found out recently that I have eggplants planted in my garden. Why, I don't know since no one really cares that for them. Now I guess I have something to attempt except I have not discovered any mung beans. Sure looks good.
Use lentils instead of mung beans. How lucky you are to have eggplants in your garden!

Back
Top Bottom