Turmeric

phoenix2015

Über Member
Local time
3:23 AM
I've recently discovered the wonderful taste and amazing health benefits of turmeric. I have used in soups, mashed potatoes and cabbage dishes so far. Reading about the health benefits of turmeric is what encouraged me to give it a try. I read that you have to eat it with an oil, an acid (such as lemon juice or tomatoes), or black pepper in order for your body to absorb the health giving nutrients.

My questions to all of you are:
1. Can I use butter instead of an oil like olive oil to help the body absorb the nutrients in turmeric?
2. I am using a grocery store bought powdered form. Is there a better way to use it to get more of the health benefits?
3. Does anyone have any creative ideas as far as ways to eat it?

I've recently discovered the wonderful taste and amazing health benefits of turmeric. I have used in soups, mashed potatoes and cabbage dishes so far. Reading about the health benefits of turmeric is what encouraged me to give it a try. I read that you have to eat it with an oil, an acid (such as lemon juice or tomatoes), or black pepper in order for your body to absorb the health giving nutrients.

1. Can I use butter instead of an oil like olive oil to help the body absorb the nutrients in turmeric?
2. I am using a grocery store bought powdered form. Is there a better way to use it to get more of the health benefits?
1.The body will absorb the turmeric however you eat it!
2.If you can get the fresh root then that is quite delicious and no doubt more nutritious.
3, The obvious route would be curry. There are thousands of recipe on the internet for curries and a huge amount of them contain turmeric.

Last edited:
I love mustard which contains tumeric but I don't know if there is enough of it in there to be beneficial to the body. We don't make curry over here in the US nearly as much as it is made in the UK and Canada...but since it is healthy it should probably be made more. I am thinking some of the spices would be hard to find, at least in my area. I would have to order them online.

I love mustard which contains tumeric but I don't know if there is enough of it in there to be beneficial to the body. We don't make curry over here in the US nearly as much as it is made in the UK and Canada...but since it is healthy it should probably be made more. I am thinking some of the spices would be hard to find, at least in my area. I would have to order them online.

Depends! If you can get onions, root ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli then you are nearly there! In fact, with a tin of chopped tomatoes, you could make a good curry from those ingredients. If you can you get coriander seeds or cumin seeds then even better. I'll try to post a basic curry recipe.

All I will add is that I have heard it goes well with smoothies. In a local fresh fruit shop, I see tumeric being used in a lot of the drink mixes.

Try searching for golden milk. That is milk with honey turmeric some nuts combined to make a delicious drink. I am not certain about the ingredients but you can just make a quick search online. I am also using store bought turmeric I guess that is better than nothing. You can add a dash of it actually on almost any food that you eat. Just do not overdo it.

I do have tumeric at home. I bought it for some Indian dish I prepared one time. I have had curry just on an infrequent basis. I like spicy food, as long as it isn't extreme. OUr Target sells some kind of curry packets for making your own curry at home.

I tried an Indian curry before that I didn't like, but I have a friend who has made me the traditional curry she was used to when she lived in Guyana, and I loved it. I'm not sure what the difference was between the two, because I'm not familiar with curries at all, other than those experiences. I have turmeric here that I tend to add to stir fries and chili. I just sprinkle some in, and maybe I'm not using enough, but I haven't tasted a difference in the dishes with or without it. I'll have to keep an eye out for @morning glory's recipe, and hopefully will be able to try making it.

I tried an Indian curry before that I didn't like, but I have a friend who has made me the traditional curry she was used to when she lived in Guyana, and I loved it. I'm not sure what the difference was between the two, because I'm not familiar with curries at all, other than those experiences. I have turmeric here that I tend to add to stir fries and chili. I just sprinkle some in, and maybe I'm not using enough, but I haven't tasted a difference in the dishes with or without it. I'll have to keep an eye out for @morning glory's recipe, and hopefully will be able to try making it.
Oops you've reminded me about this. I haven't got round to writing it up yet! Too busy with the current Challenge which features parsnips! In fact I cooked parsnips in a curry last night and may post that recipe for the Challenge - but that was a Balti and not a basic curry.

I think you can use butter as well, there’s no problem with that. But you still have to add an oil because butter gets burnt when used alone.

I think the raw variation of turmeric has better health benefits than the power one. Powdered turmeric may have lost some of the constituents that raw turmeric have. Additionally, powdered turmeric may have some add-ons that you cannot find on raw turmeric.

I have some ideas of using turmeric creatively in meals! One, you can put it in a smoothie. Try putting a teaspoon of turmeric in fruit smoothies like banana, watermelon or strawberry. Or you can even combine these and add turmeric in.

You can also try making burger patties and adding some turmeric in to give some spice. I personally love making veggie burger patties with some squash and potatoes, then the turmeric adds some spice into it. Try it!

Good luck!

I buy essential oils from doTerra and this might be the best or purest way to get the benefits. you can buy veggie capsules that you drop the oil into and pop together and swallow. they are pretty cheap too. Good Luck!

If you want to take a look here is a link. http://mydoterra.com/maryfrazier

Tumeric, ginger, cocoa powder, milk (of your choice), honey and coconut oil makes this super evolved hot chocolate that is not only anti-inflammatory but taste great as well!

1 cup milk
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp coconut oil
honey to taste

I read that you have to eat it with an oil, an acid (such as lemon juice or tomatoes), or black pepper in order for your body to absorb the health giving nutrients.

Yes, I have often heard of the health benefits of turmeric, but I do not ever buy it in its original form. I get most of my turmeric from curries that I use almost everyday. I was not aware that it had to be combined with something else to be beneficial. Anyway, as I also use tomato sauce regularly, I am sure I would be getting all the benefits that turmeric has to offer. I have thought of buying it in its original form though.

Uh, I just bought a big bag of turmeric and managed to get the un-washable yellow powder on everything.
So, now it is in timeout while I try to forget the damage it made, and think about some recipe with it :)

Uh, I just bought a big bag of turmeric and managed to get the un-washable yellow powder on everything.
So, now it is in timeout while I try to forget the damage it made, and think about some recipe with it :)
I find it does eventually come out of some things. Not white tea-towels though. I have managed to stain kitchen surfaces with it but that seems to eventually fade away. However, I do have a stick blender which is bright yellow!

Back
Top Bottom