Recipe Turnip/Collard Greens with Spicy Bacon

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
7:20 PM
Ingredients

4 slices of thick cut spicy bacon (got it from the meat counter)
Olive oil
large white onion
1 bunch of Turnip Greens
1 bunch of Collard Greens
Chicken stock
Crushed black pepper
Hot sauce
Juice of one lemon
lemon zest
2 garlic cloves

Fry bacon. Once its done, remove from pan and chop it up. Add the oil to the pan cook the onions. When their soft add in the minced garlic. I cook it for about 30 seconds before adding in the chopped turnip greens and collard greens. I add them in increments so that I can cook each handful down a bit before adding more. I'm adding a handful every 20 to 30 seconds. Once all of the greens are in the pot I stir constantly and cook them for approx 10 minutes. I then add the 75% of the bacon back into the pan with the rest of the ingredients.

I bring it to a boil, then simmer until its done. I ended up cooking this batch for about 90 minutes. Near the end I had to increase the heat.

After plating the greens I added the remaining chopped bacon (mainly for texture, and well, more bacon :) )

This was the first time I used bacon. I normally use spicy Italian sausage. I preferred the sausage. Jake preferred the bacon.

I'll add pictures in just a second.

Oh, I served it with a fish burrito. Because, why not lol

Last edited:
It looks like the fish burrito also contains plenty of leafy greens. Maybe you should include that in the recipe.

What happens to the remaining 25%?

lol........sorry. I'll edit the OP. Muli tasking at work and apparently not doing a very good job at it.

I added the 25% of the chopped bacon to the dish after it was plated.

Back
Top Bottom