Recipe Turnip roll

Corzhens

Veteran
Local time
7:02 PM
This is actually spring roll using turnip as the main ingredient. You also need spring roll wrapper, of course, plus soy sauce for flavoring. Now, if you don't want a pure vegan roll, you can add either ground pork or small shrimps.

Cut the turnip in strips that is smaller than french fries. Get your fillings - pork or shrimp - dip in soy sauce and place it in the middle of the turnip strips. Fry in regular cooking oil until the wrapper turns brown. Let it dry to remove excess oil. Serve with catsup for the dip.

This sounds very interesting. I have never really been a fan of turnip. I very seldom buy it or eat it but I would probably give it a try in something like this. I would want to add some sort of meat to it. :)

Mmmm....sounds yummy. I don't know why I hadn't thought of putting turnip in a spring roll! I have tried about every other vegetable. No matter what you put in them, spring rolls are sooo good! One of my favorite foods. Thanks for sharing @Corzhens!

Interesting. I actually Googled this to get an idea of what this looks like. It looks good but I don't know when I'd be able to try this one. Then I thought you had had made a type with the catsup and then Googled that. A little food for thought there and learning a new word.

I am not sure I have ever bought turnips. I know they are excellent in soups though. Our store might sell them in the produce section though. They are either turnips or rutabagas, not sure which. Some day when I am making soup I will buy some of them. I think they would be good in Spring Rolls as well.

I'm sorry for those who do not know turnips. It is a root crop that is white and crunchy similar to radish. Anyway, there is a substitute ingredient to turnip - the young coconut core. It is called UBOD in the Philippines, the soft part of the coconut tree that is nearest to the top. They get this coconut core by killing the tree. There are vendors in the market selling this ubod which is the best ingredient for that spring roll. But maybe you have to go to the Philippines to get that ingredient. But for those in the US, particularly in California, you can try the restaurant Goldilocks and ask for spring roll Ubod.

Ah you mean daikon radish? Last time I cooked with this I did a daikon cake wrapper. It's more like a cake, shred the turnip add rice flour and pork etc, steam as a whole then slice and grill to serve. I will have to try this way. A simple recipe that promises to taste delicious!

I don't like turnip taste, however, my sister does. Since I am not a turnip fan, I will not add turnip fillings in my spring rolls, however, if I share this recipe with my sister, she may add few stripes of turnips in her spring rolls. How about adding carrot instead of turnip, or perhaps other vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom