Two types anchovies

Roger Burton

Local time
10:17 AM
Website
www.rogerburton.co.uk
Hi chaps, I often use the tinned anchovies on the left, sometimes I make a salad dressing. I came across the tub on the right, haven’t opened it yet thought I’d get some opinions, are they interchangeable in recipes ? the tinned are simply in oil the others have skin and vinegar, salt, citric acid and oil.

image.jpg

Hi chaps, I often use the tinned anchovies on the left, sometimes I make a salad dressing. I came across the tub on the right, haven’t opened it yet thought I’d get some opinions, are they interchangeable in recipes ? the tinned are simply in oil the others have skin and vinegar, salt, citric acid and oil.

View attachment 65089

I have never seen anchovies that are not packed in oil in a tin, not ever. If you can get them that fresh, you are free to do without the oil and use them as you will.

The ones on the right are going to taste much milder in my experience and probably won't have that really salty hit. They are pretty well interchangeable otherwise although the ones in the tub would be good used whole in a salad where the tinned might overpower. Taste one of the tubbed ones and see if it is much different... I've never tried this brand so would like to know.

Back
Top Bottom