Types of gravy and how to make them

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
5:33 PM
[Mod.Edit: this post and following posts moved from another thread to form a new topic)

Urgh....I can't stand gravy with mashed potatoes.....they get all sloppy and horrible 🤢
That's why they've got to be stiff, to stand up to that gravy! 💪

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgh....I can't stand gravy with mashed potatoes.....they get all sloppy and horrible 🤢

I agree. And we already have a dish of starch, tasty already. I can deal with au jus atop potatoes, but that yellowy starchy gravy - no.

Although if it is Russetts… sometimes anything is necessary...

Us Brits are talking about dark onion gravy not the starchy yellow stuff which doesn't exist at all here. In 'gravy with mash' the gravy is a bit like French onion soup. I will attempt a photo tomorrow as I have some left over.

I can get behind the dark brown onion gravy. The yellow stuff (all too common here in the States) has me going RUN AND HIDE!

Here, we're big on starch-on-starch dishes. MrsTasty loves a big pile of mashed potatoes, egg noodles on top, and gravy on top of that. No other veggie need apply. :)

I happily stopped the starch on starch dishes. Lost 40 pounds and didn't look back - or miss them, either. (The starch nor the pounds.)

Medtran49 - It usually appears in cafeterias ie, my work cafeteria and such. Or at bad diners. It's actually a light brown, almost yellow. "gravy" that is highly starchy, and is supposed to make the mashed potatoes "palatable". Usually served after mashing the poor potatoes down in the center, and dropped in to make a "lake" of the stuff. I'll look for a photo tomorrow. For me, it's a sign that the potatoes aren't going to be much good, either.

I have never seen that, what are you talking about?
To me, when someone says "yellow(ish) gravy," I take that to mean chicken gravy.

The made-from-scratch gravy family to me is:

White gravy (cream/milk): on your biscuits in the morning and your chicken-fried steak at night.

Yellow gravy (chicken): on your mashed potatoes when you're having a big plate of your mama's cast iron skillet-fried chicken.

Light brown to dark brown gravy (pork or beef): on your chop or your steak, respectively, and on your mashed potatoes. Also good on steak fries/ chunky chips.

To me, when someone says "yellow(ish) gravy," I take that to mean chicken gravy.

The made-from-scratch gravy family to me is:

White gravy (cream/milk): on your biscuits in the morning and your chicken-fried steak at night.

Yellow gravy (chicken): on your mashed potatoes when you're having a big plate of your mama's cast iron skillet-fried chicken.

Light brown to dark brown gravy (pork or beef): on your chop or your steak, respectively, and on your mashed potatoes. Also good on steak fries/ chunky chips.

Yeah, it's all about what goes into the gravy. If you use chicken stock/drippings you'll get yellow gravy. White gravy uses cream. Brown gravy uses beef stock.

Sample of typical brown gravy in the US...

Unknown.jpeg

CD

Yeah, it's all about what goes into the gravy. If you use chicken stock/drippings you'll get yellow gravy. White gravy uses cream. Brown gravy uses beef stock.

Sample of typical brown gravy in the US...

View attachment 40054

CD
Yes, that would constitute gravy in the UK. It is always stock based, and a shade of brown from light to dark, chicken and pork gravy being light, beef and lamb gravy being dark. Cream or milk never goes near our gravy. That would be a sauce.

Cream or milk never goes near our gravy. That would be a sauce.
Ok, here's a little story:

Where I'm from, white/milk gravy is extremely popular, especially over (American) biscuits at breakfast time, and every home cook (typically a woman when I was growing up) was proud of her gravy, and every kid would tell you, "Nobody makes gravy like Mom!" We can get misty-eyed thinking about that gravy.

When I first started cooking at home, I learned basics, like cooking eggs. I made easy breads, moved up to other things, but I stayed away from learning to make gravy. That was in my mom's wheelhouse, she was the gravy maker, and that was that.

When I moved out on my own, and cooked more and more, I always had this mental block over milk gravy. I never learned to make it, and it became this almost mythical thing that only chubby little country moms could make, so I just figured I'd get good gravy when I went home, and that was that. You bet when I did visit, I ate a lot of biscuits and gravy.

More years went by, and I became a better cook, made more complex things, and regularly made dishes well outside the cuisine I grew up with.

Finally (and this wasn't that long ago), I tentatively approached my mom about how she made gravy. Maybe because she was feeling her mortality, she agreed to show me.

"Ok, now...get your skillet hot, but not too hot, and put in a little bit of bacon grease <spoons in four or five tablespoons> and let that melt. You want that skillet greasy.

"Once that's going good, get about the same in some flour and put that in there, and then stir it, oh, for a couple of minutes. You don't want to see no white from the flour, and you don't want no lumps.

Now pour in, oh I don't know, a good amount of milk, up to here <points to an imaginary line on the side of the skillet>, turn your heat up to get this good and hot, and stir and don't stop stirring, or you'll get them lumps, and you just keep stirring. And don't boil it, just simmer it. Stir and stir, and make sure you get all around the edge, because it'll stick there. And stir and stir, and after a few minutes, maybe five or 10 minutes, it'll get thick. May as well add your pepper now. You can add salt, too, but that grease is a little salty, so keep that in mind. Lots of pepper, though. You want to see the pepper all through it. "

"So, you're saying about equal parts fat and flour, cook that a bit, then your milk, and cook until it's thick?"

"Yessir, that's about it."

"That's just a bechamel sauce."

"Well, I don't know about beschy Mel, but this here is gravy!"

Back
Top Bottom