UK Products suggestions/favorites..

Rocklobster

Legendary Member
Local time
7:00 PM
This is a question for the members of the UK and others who enjoy food products from there..I am starting a new shop and will be offering a small selection imported goods from various countries. One of my suppliers offers a large selection of British/Irish/Scottish products and as I browse through the on-line product guide, I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with most of them..
If you were living out of your country, what would some products be that you enjoy and love that you couldn't live without? Classic, every day shelf items...non perishable, like dried goods, buscuits, jarred, canned, etc...I am trying to get a feel of what would sell....fire away, and don't be afraid to offer any suggestions..I want to bring in stuff that will be popular and draw customers to our new place..I'll post a few items that we have checked off to get your opinions on them..Hope this doesn't violate any forum rules..it is all about cooking and eating..

Last edited:
McVitie's biscuits (plain, milk choc coated, dark choc coated), Jaffa cakes ( although did not know Jaffa were British)...these two have tried personally and were a nice treat...

The others on the picture did not...but perhaps are popular too...?

Tea. I suggest The East India company, Fortnum & Mason, Whittards, Ahmad Tea, or Drury.

Anything by Fortnum & Mason also.

Cadbury chocolate and Cadbury eggs, they're an Easter staple and not easy to find here in Portugal.

Congrats on setting up your new business, wish you all the success in the world for this new adventure!

Thanks..it will be my fourth shop over the years. Started with a restaurant, then moved into deli/sandwiches, now going more food retail/sandwich grab-and-go items..every one smaller than the previous one as we are getting older and wish them to be more manageable..this last one is in my home town just a few blocks away from my home..hopefully my last..but, I said that last time.

Calling Yorky who is an ex-pat living abroad...

All these are basic store cupboard UK favourites - nobody is pretending these are gourmet foods with a good shelf life and are very popular. Would be useful to know what your supplier is offering.

Marmite
Marmalade (Tiptree is good)
Heinz baked beans (maybe you can buy those easily in Canada but its certainly a staple in the UK)
Bisto gravy
Branston pickle
Paxo sage and onion stuffing
Mushy peas (either canned and ready to eat or in dried form - canned are Batchelors brand
Jaffa cakes
Heinz tomato soup
Mint sauce in a jar (Colman's)
Horseradish sauce in a jar (Colman's)
Heinz salad cream
Bird's custard powder
HP sauce
Heinz tomato sauce
Ambrosia rice pudding (tin)
Tunnocks tea cakes
Atora suet (dried - long shelf life)
Prince's corned beef (tin)
British brand name cereals (various)

Check out this website: British Corner Shop UK Groceries Delivered Worldwide

Thanks..I do recognize some of those names on my order guide..There are too many for me to list here but I can give you a few names.

Baxter's Soups
Branston Sauces
Border Sweets
Crawford's Cookies
Paddy's Brown Sauce
Lot's of Marmalades
Here's a few to start..anybody recognize these names?

Mustard (Colemans)
Worcestershire sauce
Mushy peas
Clotted cream fudge
Golden Syrup (Tate and Lyle)

I think I read somewhere (here?) that some branded products are slightly different in different countries - like heinz beans and nescafe instant coffee.

Yes..we have Heinz products here also..I do notice that there is a bit of a difference and there are different styles or flavours in the UK..Or, maybe they just have different labelling...lol..Many more Coleman products there..we usually just see dry mustard powder and sometimes mustard..

Thanks..I do recognize some of those names on my order guide..There are too many for me to list here but I can give you a few names.

Baxter's Soups
Branston Sauces
Border Sweets
Crawford's Cookies
Paddy's Brown Sauce
Lot's of Marmalades
Here's a few to start..anybody recognize these names?

Border sweets means nothing to me. Neither does Paddy's Brown sauce. I think they are probably Irish/Scottish products.

Crawfords make a series of old UK favourite biscuits: bourbon, custard creams,:

Baxter's soups are definitely a favourite and also Branston pickle. Marmalade - yes. Tiptree Wilkins is excellent. Also Frank Cooper's and Robertson's.

Last edited:
Calling Yorky who is an ex-pat living abroad...

All these are basic store cupboard UK favourites - nobody is pretending these are gourmet foods with a good shelf life and are very popular. Would be useful to know what your supplier is offering.
Cost - Sterling equivalent in brackets.

Marmite (250 gm - £7.67)
Marmalade (Duerrs 340 gm - £2.10)
Heinz baked beans (400 gm - £1.63)
Branston baked beans (400 gm - £1.16)
Bisto gravy (170 gm - £3.02)
Golden Fry gravy (400 gm - £4.42)
Branston pickle (520 gm - £6.98)
Paxo sage and onion stuffing (N/A)
Mushy peas (Batchelors 300 gm - £1.16)
Jaffa cakes (N/A)
Heinz tomato soup (400 gm - £2.33)
Mint sauce in a jar (Crucials 500 ml - £3.50)
Horseradish sauce in a jar (N/A)
Heinz salad cream (N/A)
Bird's custard powder (300 gm - £2.80)
HP sauce (450 gm - £3.72)
Heinz tomato sauce (600 gm - £1.23)
Ambrosia rice pudding (400 gm - £2.56)
Tunnocks tea cakes (N/A)
Atora suet (240 gm - £2.20)
Corned beef (250 gm - £3.02)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom