Ultra violet cookware

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
7:46 AM
My mother in law was taking about getting an ultra violet cooking system the other day. I guess you can fry, grill, and bake with it. Some sort of new technology they have out there. Has anyone heard of or tried it before?

I have an actifry if that's what you mean. Its just a way of cooking without using a lot of fat, the way you do in a deep fat fryer. In fact it replaces your deep fat fryer., you only use a teaspoon of oil on whatever your cooking, and you can make chilli , spag bol, as well as other things in it.

ive never heard of ultra violet cooking though. I don't think there is any such thing to be honest. Unless the OP is talking about one of those cookers you can get from JML. Its a glass bowl with a lid and the cooking part is in the lid itself. You put the food in say a chicken, put the lid on and it turns itself on and off when needed. It lights up a lot as well. If it's one of those, no I don't have one, but my mum does. I think if you have something like a chicken it can be a bit awkward to get it out without burning your wrists. I don't think my mum used it more than once though

Last edited:
Halogen oven its called. Its the one in the middle. And you have to be careful when you take the lid off as well. Although there is a handle. It is dam hot and you can burn yourself, and you have to make sure you put it somewhere where you can't burn yourself.
Screenshot_2015-01-12-09-09-55.png

If you are talking about the "Nu Wave Oven" or other similar products, it's basically just a small table top convection oven with a halogen light in it and a fan. My parents had one briefly and then sent it back because they didn't like it. Their main gripe was that it was too big to drag out and use, and it was also too much hassle to keep clean. In reality, they already had a microwave oven with a convection baking option on it that could do the same thing. There isn't really much of a benefit from the halogen light in it from what I can tell, it merely acts as the heat source. They claim that it also cooks with infrared light, but I find that to be a bit dubious.

It doesn't really grill or fry at all, it just bakes at high temperatures with a fan blowing the heat on to the food. Those grill marks you see on the salmon steaks in the commercials are fake - baking something in an oven on a wire rack isn't going to produce traditional grill marks.

As far as cleaning goes, my folks also complained about how the fat and grease would splatter up into the heating mechanism and was near impossible to get entirely clean when done using it.

I am pretty sure that my mother in law said that it was ultra violet, but maybe she did mean halogen. The more I have researched these contraptions, the more I am convinced that it would be just another thing that sits in my cupboard unused, so I am not going to spend the money on one right now. They are neat in theory, but I will stick to my old fashioned cooking tools. They are tried and true, and make my dinner taste good!

I have seen the informerical for the Nu Wave Oven, they look so convenient, but is it true has always been my concern. Thanks for the review.

Thane Flvorwave Convection Oven..jpg

I have THIS one.
The Thane Flavorwave Convection Oven. And it DOES cook foods to perfection! Combined with a powerful glass-enclosed Halogen heating element that glows a bright orange, the cyclonic fan circulates the super-heated air throughout the tough acrylic enclosure - giving a very exceptional cooking performance like you wouldn't believe!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom