Unexpected aversions to a particular ingredient?

Three months of unlimited cooking opportunities, three times a day, has taken its toll.
My cooking habits really haven't changed much. Breakfast during the week is cold cereal and/or toast, and lunch is own our own, usually just some kind of sandwich for me. The evening meal is the only real cooking I do during the week.

Weekends are a little different, in that I insist on some kind of hot breakfast. Lunch will usually be something like a cold plate of meats and cheeses, or hummus, or nachos, something like that, and then depending on when we had lunch, I'll either cook something for supper, or we'll just skip it altogether and just snack on something.

My aversion to eggs had nothing to do with COVID, it was long, long before. Took months to slowly go away, though still hasn't entirely.

My aversion to eggs had nothing to do with COVID, it was long, long before. Took months to slowly go away, though still hasn't entirely.

I don't think I could ever go off eggs. They rank in my top favourite things.

I too, don't think my mushroom thing is anything to do with covid - though it coincides timing wise. Hmmm... I've now ordered some mushrooms in a bid to break the aversion.

I don't think I could ever go off eggs. They rank in my top favourite things.

I too, don't think my mushroom thing is anything to do with covid - though it coincides timing wise. Hmmm... I've now ordered some mushrooms in a bid to break the aversion.

I used to LOVE scrambled eggs. Not so much anymore, really have to be in the mood for them. Otherwise, even looking at scrambled or fried is difficult.

I used to LOVE scrambled eggs. Not so much anymore, really have to be in the mood for them. Otherwise, even looking at scrambled or fried is difficult.
I'm on another forum that's not for cooking, but has a single off-topic thread for folks to post stuff they've cooked.

Runny eggs are so off-putting to one of the mods that if anyone includes a pic of one, it has to go in a spoiler tag with a warning. :)

I can't complain too much, because they also insist that pics of spiders go in a spoiler tag, which suits me just fine.

As long as the whites are completely cooked, I love eggs. Shudder at phlegm-like uncooked whites. But that's not a sudden onset.

Tequila, yes, LOL. When I was a bartender the smell of it made my stomach turn. I could never do shots with my friends because the smell of stale tequila stuck in my head. I will drink it in a very weak margarita occasionally when eating Mexican food, but I would rather have a beer.

When I was young, tequila shots meant Cuervo Gold with salt and a lime. Later in life, I dicovered GOOD tequila, I believe it was Patron Silver. You can sip it life a fine whiskey. I like Cabo Wabo, too (Sammy Haggar's brand). The man makes a fine tequila, and he is supposedly a pretty good cook, too.

CD

I'm really not sure what to make of this. I've always rather liked mushrooms, but recently - maybe for the last two or three months, I've gone off them. I have to say this is the first time its ever happened (going off something) except for when I was pregnant. Then, there were all sorts of things I didn't fancy or which tasted odd. That is a normal thing and well documented. Well, I can safely say I'm not pregnant but every time I think of adding mushrooms to a shopping list, I cross them out again.

If I try to analyse why I find its complex. Its both texture and taste, so not one thing. I'm quite worried! Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Getting pregnant can cause sudden food aversions. :whistling:

CD

I have been to Cabo Wabo, I have tasted Patron and other fine tequilas. I tell ya, they should have named it "to kill ya". :thumbsdown:

I have been to Cabo Wabo, I have tasted Patron and other fine tequilas. I tell ya, they should have named it "to kill ya". :thumbsdown:

Did you eat at the Restaurant at Cabo Wabo? I had a steak and Caribbean spiny lobster dinner their that was outrageously good.

CD

I'm on another forum that's not for cooking, but has a single off-topic thread for folks to post stuff they've cooked.

Runny eggs are so off-putting to one of the mods that if anyone includes a pic of one, it has to go in a spoiler tag with a warning. :)

I can't complain too much, because they also insist that pics of spiders go in a spoiler tag, which suits me just fine.

Pretty picky forum!!

Russ

Did you eat at the Restaurant at Cabo Wabo? I had a steak and Caribbean spiny lobster dinner their that was outrageously good.

CD
I don't doubt it, but no, the resort we stayed at (within walking distance of the marina) had fabulous all inclusive plan, so we ate there.

Last edited:
We ended every night with fish tacos at this one place at the Marina.

I have been thinking about the OP all evening, and I can't think of anything I got a sudden aversion to eating. Just the opposite... there are things I hated in the past, that I like now.

CD

Back
Top Bottom