Unusual Kitchen Appliances and Gadgets

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
8:03 PM
One of the most unusual appliance that I have ever heard of is the 'anitgriddle', the invention of award winning chef and owner of Chicago's top rated restaurant Alinea.

The antigriddle allows a cooking method which flash freezes foods instantly, generating a griddle temperature down to -34F.

What sort of recipes would use an antigriddle? Ice cream is one for sure, but also, quick generation of solid confections, candies and ...

The antigriddle is about the size of a microwave oven with a cooling surface on top. Near as I can tell, the first antigriddle was built sometime after 2005, sort of new, but has been around for a while.

Last edited:
Yeah, I did see molecular Gastronomy mentioned.

My bad. I neglected to give the name of the antigriddle's visionary, the owner of that now five star restaurant Alinea in Chicago.

The name is Grant Achatz. This chef reminds me of Thomas Keller, the chef and owner of The French Laundry restaurant in Yountville, California, near Napa. Keller owns several restaurants, several of them in Yountville, but others in New York, Las Vegas and other locations.

Here's another unusual kitchen gadget/appliance, - a portable electronic nose.

Electronic nose devices are biosensors and sample gases given off by anything from food to sanitation facilities and are often used to monitor safety issues. For food, electronic noses help identify food adulteration, freshness and spoilage. They are also applied to evaluate the quality of some pharmaceuticals. I would imagine there might be a use for the detection of toxic weapons.

In the kitchen, the peres electronic nose is available to sample cooking completeness via such sampling of gases and is a small hand held device which is aimed at the food being cooked to evaluate it.

Electronic nose devices have also been called electronic tongues.

Last edited:
I dunno man ... does my house smell good of lovely foods cooking? Yes, why yes it does!
I don't think I need an electronic nose to tell me that, especially when my neighbor is popping up over the fence, asking, "What`cha cookin? It sure smells good!" :hungry: And she knows that I will always share!

I dunno man ... does my house smell good of lovely foods cooking? Yes, why yes it does!
I don't think I need an electronic nose to tell me that, especially when my neighbor is popping up over the fence, asking, "What`cha cookin? It sure smells good!" :hungry: And she knows that I will always share!

I don't know how well a portable e-nose for cooking would work. Can it tell when a steak is just right rare or medium rare? It would seem to me that the device would have to be trained and would not be effective right out of the box. Food varies too much.

In short, at this time, I can't imagine the device being a big seller.

Nostalgia Electrics 3 in 1 Breakfast Station ...

fa-7b8314cc257b_1.7e3755a38b8b0776b9be751e1ab5eec3.jpg

Photo courtesy of Walmart.

I can't imagine why I'd own this. I have an AC outlet in the bed of my 4x4 pickup truck and maybe it would be good for when I might be on a long drive across country. Of course, I'd need a big Coleman cooler for the eggs, sausage and bacon.

Egg cuber - I even made a cube shaped Scotch egg - will have to find photo. It moulds the hard-boiled egg into a cube.

View attachment 75835

If you like that gadget, take a look at this one for cooking eggs in a vertical column.

b412-b4b64da87073.d9525f8df198085511e5af7c8e494de6.jpg

The Rollie Eggmaster gadget will do other things too, like egg rolls, omelette rolls, etc.

Nostalgia Electrics 3 in 1 Breakfast Station ...

View attachment 75830

I can't imagine why I'd own this. I have an AC outlet in the bed of my 4x4 pickup truck and maybe it would be good for when I might be on a long drive across country. Of course, I'd need a big Coleman cooler for the eggs, sausage and bacon.
I'm going to take very little risk and say they cooked that food elsewhere and just sat it on that monstrosity...if that's even real food. :eek:

One of the most unusual appliance that I have ever heard of is the 'anitgriddle', the invention of award winning chef and owner of Chicago's top rated restaurant Alinea.

The antigriddle allows a cooking method which flash freezes foods instantly, generating a griddle temperature down to -34F.

What sort of recipes would use an antigriddle? Ice cream is one for sure, but also, quick generation of solid confections, candies and ...

The antigriddle is about the size of a microwave oven with a cooling surface on top. Near as I can tell, the first antigriddle was built sometime after 2005, sort of new, but has been around for a while.
Wondering if this would be useful for someone who wanted to, say, flash-freeze fish they just caught?

If you like that gadget, take a look at this one for cooking eggs in a vertical column.

View attachment 75855

The Rollie Eggmaster gadget will do other things too, like egg rolls, omelette rolls, etc.
I've seen a couple videos where people used this gadget to make "long eggs". Seemed kinda fiddly to do. Not something I'm interested in purchasing.

Back
Top Bottom