Unusual Ways to Catch Fish

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:36 AM
I have caught fish with rod and reel, spear fishing, but never nets.

The most unusual ways I have ever caught fish is 1) by hand and 2) by foot.

When I was a kid visiting relatives in Minnesota, I was up early one morning down on the boat pier and noticed a Pickerel or small Pike under the pier. For some odd reason I dropped into the water and made a grab for it. I caught it by hand. It was too easy, I thought and upon inspection found a pine cone wedged in the fishes mouth which it had obviously tried to swallow and probably exhausted it.

When on a hunting trip for Elk up on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, my buddy and I camped on the Bogachiel River. The Salmon were running in the River which was not too wide and was shallow and swift running. The Salmon were so thick in the river that I was able to kick a big one out onto shore and capture it. I literally punted it. We cleaned and filleted it, eating it for dinner that night. We could have kicked out another and another, but the big one I kicked out was well more than enough.

Okay, you haven't been fishing with rednecks, it appears.

Blast Fishing: A lake, and a stick of dynamite. Boom -- stunned fish float to the surface, and you scoop them up with a net. Oh, yeah, it is very illegal.

Catfish Noodling: Big in Oklahoma. Legal, and they even have contests. You stick your hand in the kinds of holes, nooks and cranies in a lake of slow moving river that the big catfish hang out. The catfish tries to swalow your hand/arm. You pull it up to the surface and wrap your arms around it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPxzKAvMAQ

CD

Foot trapping flounders, tickling trout, coracle fishing for salmon with net on the River Severn. Purse netting for salmon on the River Dee Saltney, and the most dangerous.

There are a couple ways of catching fish here that I never heard of before. :okay:

My father loves fishing. He did line fishing usually but also would go every day during smelt season. It's basically a waiting game with a large net. They are very good. I haven't had fresh smelts in 30 years.

Back
Top Bottom