(USA) Apple Pie Recipe Request

I will post you a recipe tomorrow. (Monday).
There are actually dozens of variations, but I will find you a general recipe.

I had a cookbook handy so here is basic recipe. I will come back tomorrow and translate the measurements.
9 inch apple pie
Pastry for a 9 inch 2 crust pie. (Will get you the recipe)
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar
1/4 all purpose flour (not self-raising)
1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg and ground cinnamon
Dash of salt
8 medium thinly sliced pared (peeled) tart apples
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

Heat oven to 425°F (210C)(gas mark 7). Prepare pastry. Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Stir in apples. Turn into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with margarine. Cover with top crust that has slits cut in it. Seal and flute.(Make the edge fancy). (Or you can cut the top crust into strips about 2.5 cm wide and do a lattice pattern on top). Cover the edges with aluminum foil to prevent burning. Remove the foil 15 minutes before the pie is done. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is brown and the juices are bubbling through the crust.

Any questions just ask.

Two 9 inch pie crusts
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons shortening or 2/3 cup lard
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of salt
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

Cut shortening into flour and salt until it is the size of small peas. Sprinkle in water about a tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until all the flour is moistened and the pastry almost cleans the side of the bowl.
Shape into 2 balls and roll pastry on a floured surface to about 5 cm larger than inverted (upside down) pie plate. Fold in fourths , place in pie plate. Unfold and shape to the pie plate.

Once again any questions just ask.

I will post my wife's recipe later. I have to go find it, then make the conversions.

Tip: Whatever recipe you choose, it is important that you use apples that are not too sweet or too tart. They should be of a firm variety so they don't break down and get all mushy when cooked..This will greatly affect the finished product.

@patriziamariapia
If the problem was the crust, it may be we have different flours.
You might try reducing the fat by 1/3.
I hadn't thought of that possibility until I was reading my life in France by Julia Child.
She mentioned the difference between American and French flour.

If I am making a nine inch pie, I use three different apples. Always three Granny Smith's, Golden Delicious. They both hold up well and don't break down into mush. When you cut the pie, those two apples come out as a whole slice. For the mushy part, I use Rome Beauty. They are great for making apple sauce. And they break down enough to absorb any of the juices created by the sugar. Which keeps the bottom crust solid. All three types are as a rule available year round here in these parts.

Back
Top Bottom