Using food to give pets/animals tablets

My dogs have all been easy to give pills, as long as they were disguised. Those Greenie's Pill Pockets were great with Psycho Poodle. He loved them.

The tough thing was liquid medicine. I used to have to occasionally give Teddy cough medicine (human over-the-counter Tussin), using a syringe. I had to be REALLY fast. Open his mouth, shove the syringe to the back near his throat, and squeeze fast.

CD

Giving chooks liquid medicine is very difficult. If it is just 1 chook you have to hold her beak open and drip one drop at a time and allow her to swallow. Too much and you'll drown her, literally. If the entire flick needs to go into it, then all other water sources have to be withdrawn and you then have the issue that some chooks hog the water, they'll drink more than the others, so get too much and other chooks won't get any or anywhere near enough. You can't easily ensure that each chook has had the correct amount of whatever.

Tablets are easier but it takes 2 people to feed a chook their meds unless they are very ill. Except for a small number of chooks who just so happen to like anything small and white such as polystyrene foam! They are great to get them to take tablets (ideally without the foam! ).

The Irish wolfhound we used to look after in the UK was great at taking tablets. Roll it up in a piece of ham or chicken (in his daily treat) and he wolf it down.... <sorry, I'll leave now>.

But that is what he did.

Our Alsatian (German Shepherd) didn't like taking pills at all. The lab, however, will wolf down anything as long as it's wrapped in a piece of ham.

Strangely enough my wife has little difficulty in giving either of the cats pills. However, she is not prepared to administer pills in the same way to the dogs. The pills are broken up into their food.

Pills are OK for my boys (Jack Russel's) when in food.
Except Bravecto. They love it. Smells like beef gravy. I got to make sure they don't eat each other's tablet :wink:

Now vaccinations is a total different story....

Back
Top Bottom