Using herbs and spices

Termyn8or

Local time
7:27 AM
[Mod.Edit: Title of thread changed to encourage discussion (MG)]

I have gotten into spices. I have one I call killer chicken spice, or just killer spice.

1 - 1 garlic powder
2 - 1 onion powder
3 - 1 thyme
4. - 1 celery seed
5. - 1 white pepper
6. - ½ dill seed
7. - ½ cayenne pepper

To this add 1 - sage for pork or beef.

I mix them all together because to put them all on ends up too much. So the mixture is in a jar with a shaker top.

Speaking of spice jars, if you want to reuse the ones from the store bear this in mind. The ones with the flip top or whatever and the shaker built into the top lid will make your spices lose potency facter than they would in saled jar. Some have a totally solid lid and the shaker thing is underneath, those seal right. The ones with the holes in the top do not. Glass might be even better but at least use the ones with the solid lid over the top.

I have used this for sooe tie and it is good, at least I think so.

In the intro section someone said they like spicy ? Well to make 8 ounces of tomato sauce for lik sausage sandwichees etc, or pizza get a l oad of this.

First I have a rosemary/fennel bag. A coffee filter actually. First I boi tha tintil I gget the water brown, it is like a fennel/rosemary tea.

Into this goes about a half a garlic cut up small, about half an onion also cut up small. It cooks until tender. I add a little olive oil in case iot dries up, and much of the time a small amount of white chardonay, which is fairly dry.

Later goes in the can of sauce. Then the spaces. Per 8 ounces;

1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp celery seed
½ tsp cayenne

Now that is spicy.

So does anyone else have like a custom mix ? Like Emeril's essence ?

Thing is I haven't touched on fish and a few other things.

T

Last edited by a moderator:
I do my own mixes for things like taco seasoning, fajita seasoning, seasoned salt, and simple things like garlic salt and celery salt, but I don't really have a unique-to-me blend.

Its interesting you use the term 'spices'. In fact the mix you have is mainly herbs aside from the cayenne pepper. But I think in the USA the terms herbs and spices are sometimes blurred.
That must depend on the person or region of the US perhaps. Spices to me are just that: spicy.

I make my own Garam masala and also tandoori mix. Does that count.?

Russ

This is my garam masala (actually it's Madhur Jaffrey's)

garammasala.jpg

Nutmeg, black cardamom seeds, black cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon and black pepper.

Well that is interesting, making one's own spice mixes. Well done to sll who do.
I might in the future, just not yet.
Store bought herbs/spices and mixes serve me well for the time being.

Well that is interesting, making one's own spice mixes. Well done to sll who do.
I might in the future, just not yet.
Store bought herbs/spices and mixes serve me well for the time being.

I think that the only spice mixture that I buy pre-made is char siu sauce mix. The reason being that my efforts at making my own have been unsuccessful (to say the least).

I think that the only spice mixture that I buy pre-made is char siu sauce mix. The reason being that my efforts at making my own have been unsuccessful (to say the least).
Oooh I like the description! Then again had to further research Hoisin, that sounds delicious too! Sweet for the carob...and the five spices is probably a standard, but unknown to me...i imagine it must taste very rich, with all the ingredients combined...never had it. I think. Unless it was served to us in Japan, without announcing it was what it was...anyways that was long time ago...

Oooh I like the description! Then again had to further research Hoisin, that sounds delicious too! Sweet for the carob...and the five spices is probably a standard, but unknown to me...i imagine it must taste very rich, with all the ingredients combined...never had it. I think. Unless it was served to us in Japan, without announcing it was what it was...anyways that was long time ago...
View attachment 62041

I have all the ingredients, I just can't seem to get it as good as the packet mix (I add my own honey).

View attachment 62041
We really liked this char siu. Regardless of what she says about the red food coloring not making a difference in flavor, it does so use it.

I know that because there's an American Southern cake called Red Velvet cake that uses red food coloring. I started to make 1 once not realizing I was out of red food coloring until I started making it. Went ahead and made it without. The cake was still good, but didn't taste like a Red Velvet cake should.

We use spice blends we mix up all the time. Some our own and some like Emeril's Creole seasoning from 1 of his old cookbooks before he started selling them commercially.

Back
Top Bottom