Using pepper

The other day I was hearing a chef (can't remember her name) saying she only adds pepper if she will taste the pepper in the dish. I agree with that, I like to taste the pepper, say in grilled food for example. When it's just for adding heat and the flavor of pepper will be lost, I think there's more interesting ways to add heat.

The other day I was hearing a chef (can't remember her name) saying she only adds pepper if she will taste the pepper in the dish. I agree with that, I like to taste the pepper, say in grilled food for example. When it's just for adding heat and the flavor of pepper will be lost, I think there's more interesting ways to add heat.

I think that that chef has just found out the hot water :laugh:

When it's just for adding heat and the flavor of pepper will be lost, I think there's more interesting ways to add heat.

I disagree. Using black or white peppercorns along with other dry roasted and ground spices adds a very particular dimension and layer of heat. You can taste both chilli and black pepper as distinct layers of flavour and heat in the final curry sauce.

Interesting. Pepper changes the flavor of food while adding some spice. It can be left out of anything and most wouldn't object or used as a focal point like in black pepper calamari or shrimp, and I've used it in icecream.

I should have clarified I was only talking about ground pepper (black or white)...which is the same the chef was mentioning. I find the flavor of ground pepper gets lost in sauces.

haha, but you succeeded, well done. I like experiments in food, when there is a good sense of course.
I want to try your invention. I may start with black pepper on vanilla ice cream..Not sure if I am ready for curry but who knows...
It's not my invention by any stretch it's just the though process that we naturally have when being creative with food. People need to be more creative and of course built on a somewhat solid foundation but nevertheless, this is where trial and error, failure and success resides. The ice cream example was simply to show that when you restrict yourself to convention you produce a conventional dish. As soon as you entertain spice and herbs into an unconventional medium like ice cream the opportunities for complimentary combinations open exponentially, unfortunately some are complete failures, but that's the risk we all take in life in general so why should cooking be any different. Cheers.

It's not my invention by any stretch it's just the though process that we naturally have when being creative with food. People need to be more creative and of course built on a somewhat solid foundation but nevertheless, this is where trial and error, failure and success resides. The ice cream example was simply to show that when you restrict yourself to convention you produce a conventional dish. As soon as you entertain spice and herbs into an unconventional medium like ice cream the opportunities for complimentary combinations open exponentially, unfortunately some are complete failures, but that's the risk we all take in life in general so why should cooking be any different. Cheers.

yes I know how it works about failure/new opportunities etc, I was just saying that I’ve never thought about using black pepper on an ice-cream and I just liked the idea.
I am a huge user of aromatic herbs also (possibly mostly) in sweet dishes.
Conventional dishes are more than ok as well the new ones, same approach when they follow your tastebuds. Cheers

I love black pepper. There's a certain very slight sourness that I think is fantastic. One of my favorite salad dressings, a creamy buttermilk dressing...I load that up with fresh cracked black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom