Using Rice and Beans as Fillers

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
4:13 AM
Our family loves to eat tacos and enchiladas but with meat being so expensive I have been using fillers for a few years. Normally I use rice as a filler for both dishes but I have also used beans in the past as well. This stretches the meat and helps to fill us up as well. With the price of food skyrocketing I will probably start using it in other dishes as well.

What dishes do you use fillers for?

Rice in tacos? hmm... sounds odd. Beans however are a normal part of the dish so obviously that works really well.

I actually prefer just putting in more of the cheaper ingredients instead of using a filler. For example, when making pasta I have a bit more pasta and less sauce and put less meat in the sauce. As long as you don't over do it the food will taste the same while being a bit cheaper.

If your family likes mushrooms you could try using mushrooms as an alternative 'filler' every now and again. Just grate them (yep - grate them) and cook them instead of minced meat - it looks almost identical and tastes wonderful (to me at least!)

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/a-different-alternative-to-minced-beef.79/#post-450

I have not thought about mushrooms. Hubby likes them but I am not a big fan. I have used squash grated up as a filler as well.

Rice in tacos? hmm... sounds odd. Beans however are a normal part of the dish so obviously that works really well.

I actually prefer just putting in more of the cheaper ingredients instead of using a filler. For example, when making pasta I have a bit more pasta and less sauce and put less meat in the sauce. As long as you don't over do it the food will taste the same while being a bit cheaper.

We actually like the rice more than the beans as our filler for the tacos. It turns out pretty good. We use refried beans as a side or a topping.

I use rice and beans as a filler all of the time, and I also use cheap vegetables like canned corn, or a drained can of mixed vegetables as a filler too. My kids are growing and they eat more every day. Unfortunately my grocery budget has not grown with them.

The main/only thing I could think of is substituting more beans in for hamburger when making chili. I'm tempted to try a taco substitution as well, but I'm not sure how that would work out for me.

I try to use veggies as a an added filler when making hot dishes involving ground beef as well.

I use rice and beans as a filler all of the time, and I also use cheap vegetables like canned corn, or a drained can of mixed vegetables as a filler too. My kids are growing and they eat more every day. Unfortunately my grocery budget has not grown with them.

Oh yes ally79 they grow and grow and the money budget does not. I have not used veggies as a filler but I will give it a whirl. Adding corn to mexican dishes should work well.

The main/only thing I could think of is substituting more beans in for hamburger when making chili. I'm tempted to try a taco substitution as well, but I'm not sure how that would work out for me.

I try to use veggies as a an added filler when making hot dishes involving ground beef as well.

For some odd reason my family is more prone to accept rice instead of beans. Of course it just all depends on the dish. If its something like chili then more beans is automatically added. If its something chicken enchilidas then I add the rice.

Give the taco substitution a try.

Frozen spinach makes a great filling, you just need to make sure you thaw it completely and wring it out real good in a towel. I have it almost daily in omelettes, but I've also put it in veggie enchiladas, along with some black beans and cheese and taco seasoning.

I love bean and rice burritos. I cook the rice in a mixture of chicken stock and jarred salsa, along with a little cumin. Then I just warm the black beans up and wrap them both in a warmed flour tortilla with some sharp cheddar or monterey jack.

You can really stretch meat out with leftover veggies in a stir fry. A little oyster sauce brings it all together, and serve it over some simple fried rice - which you can bump the protein up even more with some egg.

Frozen spinach makes a great filling, you just need to make sure you thaw it completely and wring it out real good in a towel. I have it almost daily in omelettes, but I've also put it in veggie enchiladas, along with some black beans and cheese and taco seasoning.

I love bean and rice burritos. I cook the rice in a mixture of chicken stock and jarred salsa, along with a little cumin. Then I just warm the black beans up and wrap them both in a warmed flour tortilla with some sharp cheddar or monterey jack.

You can really stretch meat out with leftover veggies in a stir fry. A little oyster sauce brings it all together, and serve it over some simple fried rice - which you can bump the protein up even more with some egg.

Those bean and rice burritos sound very good OhioTom76. I enjoy eating them as well. Normally we use refried beans and spices. I have never really used spinach. That is something that we need to try.

Lentils are great. A veggy Currie with lentils is far more filling.

I really enjoy lentils. Normally I make lentil soup. I am also a fan of curry as well. Thank you for stopping by.

Back
Top Bottom