Valentine's Day: do you celebrate it?

Lullabelle

Midlands, England
Local time
10:39 PM
[Mod.Edit: post moved to form new topic]

Here we are again, almost that time of year. This year we will be having a quiet night in.
With February being the comedy festival we are going out a few evenings this month so for the special evening we want to stay in the warmth, relax over a meal of out choice and listen to music of our choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was younger it was never celebrated beyond sending anonymous cards. That was fun! Perhaps I'll send an anonymous Valentine card or two... :giggle:

We will most likely go to M&S, see what they have. We both like saltimbocca for a main course.
We were given a bottle of fizz at Christmas so we will probably open that.

A change to our routine on that day, it will be a cuppa and light bite when I get home then shower and then relax over a meal. The added bonus of it being on a Thursday so won't have to do a pack up for the following day :)

We will most likely go to M&S, see what they have. We both like saltimbocca for a main course.
We were given a bottle of fizz at Christmas so we will probably open that.

A change to our routine on that day, it will be a cuppa and light bite when I get home then shower and then relax over a meal. The added bonus of it being on a Thursday so won't have to do a pack up for the following day :)

M&S are good at those meal deals.

What is a 'pack up'?

My birthday is close to Valentine's day. May celebrate one or the other at a French cafe.Their Bouillabaisse & Flourless Chocolate Cake are calling my name. We'll see.

Valentines Day used to be a day when the women in my life expected the usual romantic gestures. It was also expected that I would get something in return.

This all changed when I started dating (and eventually married) someone who was born on February 14th. First of all, the business about the day being at least partly about the guy went completely out the window: February 14th is unquestionably 100% about my wife and what she wants. The first year, we went out to eat on her birthday, and it was terrible: even with reservations, the restaurant was packed and the service was bad. Since then, we've decided to go out to eat the Saturday before to avoid the crowds.

To sum up, February 14th is now not even remotely about Valentines Day in the Perini household. :laugh:

We stopped going out on Valentine's Day a long time ago, even weekend before or after. It's always way overcrowded and, just like with roses, the price always seems to be higher. Besides that, quality in even the best places always seems to go down, I'm assuming because of the overcrowding and trying to turn as many tables as possible. We'd both rather splurge on some very nice ingredients and make something we'll really enjoy in peace at home. Neither one of us is much for crowded situations anymore. Or, we'll go out a couple of weekends before or after to avoid the crowds, like we did last weekend, and that will be our Valentine's Day celebration.

I am glad I live in a big city surrounded by restaurants of every cuisine. They are well staffed and never over crowded - especially on holidays. Unless you go to a fast food place. The only other restaurants that might have a wait, are newly-opened and don't take reservtions.

Last edited:
I am glad I live in a big city surrounded by restaurants of every cuisine. They are well staffed and never over crowded - especially on holidays. Unless you go to a fast food place. The only other restaurants that might have a wait, are newly-opened and don't take reservtions.

Well, we live in a pretty big metropolitan area of over 6 million people so we have pretty much any cuisine in any price range you could possibly want within an hour or so drive at most, and all the well known, high end restaurants of any type of fare are fully booked and packed on holidays, especially Valentine's Day. Fast food places, like Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell, etc., not so much. Mid-level places like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc. are always crowded, even the ones a little higher on the ladder that take reservations. Even smaller, very, very nice places, like we went to last Friday night, are fully booked and packed. Pretty much any place that has decent food is going to be fully booked or have a wait time if they don't take reservations.

Personally, I prefer going to a restaurant when it's not fully booked or overbooked as the case may be, and there's not so much pressure on the staff to turn as many tables as possible to accommodate holiday traffic.

We stopped going out on Valentine's Day a long time ago, even weekend before or after. It's always way overcrowded and, just like with roses, the price always seems to be higher. Besides that, quality in even the best places always seems to go down, I'm assuming because of the overcrowding and trying to turn as many tables as possible. We'd both rather splurge on some very nice ingredients and make something we'll really enjoy in peace at home. Neither one of us is much for crowded situations anymore. Or, we'll go out a couple of weekends before or after to avoid the crowds, like we did last weekend, and that will be our Valentine's Day celebration.

You have hit the nail right on the head there, over crowding, below par food, these are the reasons we don"t go out. Not interested in roses just happy to have a quiet relaxed night in.

Back
Top Bottom