Valentine's Day for Kids

I have seen rice crispy treats made into the shape of a heart, or brownies cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. There are tons of ideas on sites like Pinterest. Are you looking for a large group of kids (like a classroom) or just a few?

That's a cute idea! I might try the rice crispies. I'm looking for easy ideas for a classroom of kids, as well as just fun stuff to make at home. My biggest holiday traditions are decorated sugar cookies for Christmas and Thanksgiving... so I'm wanting to expand my horizons from there and think of some other ideas. I will check out Pinterest, thanks ReadWriteLearn.

Do any of you have children that you make a traditional Valentine's Day treat with?

I do! I have a son and a daughter so I am always looking for cool treats and goodies I can make for them, especially around the holidays. I usually make something for after school on the first day of school, Halloween, valentines day, the "little" Important days. This past year I was so busy around Halloween that I was just going to skip it because I didn't think it was a big deal. My ten year old woke up on Halloween and couldn't stop talking about how excited she was to come home from school to find out what Mom made for her "creepy Halloween tradition of making a cool after school snack!" How could I skip it after that? LOL Pinterest saved the day, and I should probably start planning my Valentine's day treat too!

My kids are starting to get in on it more and more too. They both love being in the kitchen with me. It's pretty much the center of our house. Someone is always tinkering around in there. A couple months ago they decided to make a rainbow cake, one layer for each color of the rainbow. I stepped back and let them do everything. We ended up with a seven layer round cake, they pulled it off!

That's so cute! And I agree, pinterest does have some great ideas.

My son looks forward to stuff like that too, that's why I'm trying to come up with an idea early. He's only 4 but he loves to pretend cook in the kitchen, he pretends he's a fireman making dinner for the firehouse. He also always want us to have a "celebration" dinner, where the table is made perfectly and all the food is laid out in a spread (which we rarely do). We got take out recently and he ran and got the table set with placemats and candles, opened all the containers and set them up buffet style, and said dinner's ready!

He gets so excited when I give him some fun looking kiddy treat I made, his eye's get wide and he says woooww .... thanks mom!!! He's so appreciative that I always want to find new ways to surprise him!

I love that! My son is/was the same way. Now he asks to have cooking competitions. We usually team up, boys versus girls or kids versus parents. it sometimes gets a little rowdy but we all have a good time. Lately, both of my kids have been asking to eat in our formal dining room instead of at the kitchen table. I don't mind because I like the room getting a bit more use and when we are in there, nobody has a direct view to the television or other distractions!

Well I thought of what I will make for Valentine's treats. As you suggested ReadWriteLearnLove I am going to make rice crispy treats, cut them in the shape of a heart, put them on a stick, dip one end in melted chocolate, then dip it into sprinkles. I hope it works out. But if I mess it up a think all the ingredients can be eaten regardless of how they look. I'm sure it will turn out like one of the Pinterest vs. mine pictures. Has anyone seen those? It shows the beautiful artistic pinterest picture and then your mangled attempt at recreating it!

Good luck, Dina00, I'm sure they'll turn out great. I have seen those Pinterest fails, and have had a few of my own. Some of them are pretty funny!

Valentine's Day has become as big of a candy day as Halloween around here, which is (I admit) a little annoying. This year I'm not sending candy with the kids Valentine's. I just bought some Lego shaped candy molds on Amazon, and we're making crayons for each kid. I already have candy molds in Disney princess shapes, and thought I needed something for the boys, and now I think we're only going to do the Legos. They are SUPER cool.

I've been on the hunt for old crayons for a while now and should have a few more people donating bags instead of throwing them away. I have to admit, it is really scratching my environmental itch. Haha.

Valentine's Day has become as big of a candy day as Halloween around here, which is (I admit) a little annoying. This year I'm not sending candy with the kids Valentine's. I just bought some Lego shaped candy molds on Amazon, and we're making crayons for each kid. I already have candy molds in Disney princess shapes, and thought I needed something for the boys, and now I think we're only going to do the Legos. They are SUPER cool.

I've been on the hunt for old crayons for a while now and should have a few more people donating bags instead of throwing them away. I have to admit, it is really scratching my environmental itch. Haha.

That's a great idea - I have wanted to do that but make the crayons in a heart shaped mold, but I don't have one. But I do have a ton of useless crayons - I made the mistake of putting all my kids crayons near a window that gets a lot of light, so the last I saw them they were all ruined and melted together! I had no idea the sunlight could be so strong.

That's a great idea - I have wanted to do that but make the crayons in a heart shaped mold, but I don't have one. But I do have a ton of useless crayons - I made the mistake of putting all my kids crayons near a window that gets a lot of light, so the last I saw them they were all ruined and melted together! I had no idea the sunlight could be so strong.

That is funny. The same thing happened yesterday. I thought my daughter spilled something in the bag of crayons before I realized they had just melted a little bit from sitting in the sun (it is freezing here, who knew?).

I've had more luck on Amazon than the stores around here for molds, seriously. Even seasonally, it seems shaped candy molds are both hard to find, and then ridiculously expensive. The ones I found have 3 trays and they were $12 (and free shipping with Prime).

My best advice if you do them though, is to melt the crayons first - in aluminum cans in a water bath, then pour the melted liquid in the mold and let it set (takes maybe 15 minutes). I know the molds say oven safe, but from everything I've seen online it is a HUGE MESS. When we melt first and pour, they pop right out and the molds look brand new. Also, not all crayons melt completely. Crayola is really the best. Cheap crayons might not melt at all, so if you break them all and stick them in the molds, they still might stay whole and it is just annoying. When you do the water bath, you can just leave the solid crayons and pour the liquid off around them, then throw away anything that didn't melt.

Super easy. Here, I wrote this if you want to see our christmas crayons: http://clairewait.hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Holiday-Crafts-Make-Your-Own-Crayons

You could create Valentine themed goodie bags filled with treats. Also, brownies topped with Valentine colored M&M's are cute. They have packages with only red and pink M&M's I think. I have also seen marshmallows cut out with tiny heart shaped cookie cutters, you could make sweet little hot cocoa packs with those.
upload_2015-1-31_22-15-58.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSB7JaBmpmZKn3hxtoKgWntt-RlH0wZOQ9lLuWAAZy1lHne-pZL.jpg

You can buy them as well.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwR4NhdXc4IO6BOWYXF5lElaLc4z5mElTILYDxfJ8UUjB5g-6v.gif

I have also seen marshmallows cut out with tiny heart shaped cookie cutters, you could make sweet little hot cocoa packs with those.

Oh my gosh that is a great idea, thank you, thank you! I need to bring in a treat for the whole class and I am so uncreative in this aspect. But a packet of cocoa, in a mini ziplock bag with marshmallow hearts, that sounds so simple and easy, thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom