Variations on Coleslaw

lizzief79

Veteran
Local time
7:51 AM
I always make my own coleslaw using grated carrot, grated white cabbage, finely sliced onion or red onion, mayonnaise and salad cream. It is easy to make and I don't like the prepared stuff you can buy at the store. Recently I have been trying out a few variations such as adding a little curry powder, similar to a coronation chicken flavor, or adding grated apple, walnuts and sultanas, like a cross between coleslaw and waldorf salad. Do any of you have any other interesting variations on coleslaw that I could try out?

I like cheese coleslaw. Basically it's a regular coleslaw, but with the addition of grated cheese. Of course. that bumps the calories up even further, but it's absolutely delicious.

Fennel, celeriac, beetroot, radishes, red cabbage are a good change to carrot and white cabbage.

For the dressing I like yoghurt, olive oil and mustard.

I like eating raw vegetables and I too experiment with salads and coleslaws made with different types of grated vegetables.

Nuts, cheese, fresh or dried fruit can be added. You could try combining chopped dates with walnuts or almonds with raisins.

I also try adding an extra ingredient to the salad dressing. This could be mustard or other spice, any variety of vinegar, chopped herbs or hot pepper.

I saw a recipe on TV once that utilized some sort of cream as a majority thus cutting down on the mayonnaise. I'm pretty sure it was sour cream or yogurt or something similar, along with some vinegar and mayonnaise. I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine the taste being a lot lighter and thus making it a lot more like a main salad than a side dish.

Back
Top Bottom