Recipe Vegan Basil Mayonnaise

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:09 AM
This is an eggless mayonnaise made using aquafaba (the liquid from a can of beans). Its virtually indistinguishable from regular mayonnaise. You can use the liquid from any can of beans. If you use black bean aquafaba you will get a mauve mayonnaise, which is quite fun. Here I used the liquid from a can of cannellini beans. This mayonnaise can be made ahead of time and will keep for several days in the fridge.

Ingredients
50 ml aquafaba (liquid from a can of beans or chickpeas)
200 ml vegetable oil
Lots of basil
Salt and lemon juice to taste

Method
  1. Place the bean water in a beaker and blend with a stick blender until if froths slightly. Add the oil in a steady stream, blending as you go.
  2. Once the consistency is as you like, start adding torn up basil leaves and continue to blend. Keep adding basil until the mayonnaise has a suitable green hue.
  3. Add salt and lemon juice, to taste.

Very interesting recipe. I'm wondering about the mechanism that creates this airy substance. Is it the protein in the liquid from the beans that allows it to froth up and the oil allows it to stay up? Can it maintain this consistency over time or does it flatten?

Is it the protein in the liquid from the beans that allows it to froth up and the oil allows it to stay up? Can it maintain this consistency over time or does it flatten?

Yes its an emulsion formed by the protein in the bean water and the oil. I usually use the mayonnaise within a few days. It most definitely lasts at least three days. I will keep some back (I am still to use it in a finished dish) and leave to see how long it lasts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom