SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:38 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm still working on this recipe. The first time I made it out was way too dry for my liking. I've not had chance to make it again, but I'll write it up with the changes I want to make to it, maybe tomorrow or Wednesday?

I'm using a few ingredients that some will not be familiar with, pea protein isolate and soy protein isolate. I'm using 50/50 pea/soy protein isolate that I've ready mixed.
You can use brown rice isolate or ground hemp seed or even organic Sacha Inchi protein powder (great nutty taste and 63% protein) as well, just visit a health food shop or bulk food shop or go online. All will increase the protein in these rolls and ensure all of the essential amino acids (EAAs) are in the product (it's one reason that mixed beans exist, or beans and lentils are often combined in vegan & vegetarian diets, no one contains all of them, but combined you get the full range of EAAs.)
If you can't get them, or don't want to, simply switch them out for fine oatmeal or wheatgerm, ground rolled oats or even chickpea/besam flour! I can't see why fine semolina or even fine corn flour or maize meal wouldn't also work. You'll just need to adjust the volume of aquafaba used. It is used as a binding agent and also to add some moisture to the filling.

A note on your chickpeas. If you are using a tin of chickpeas, ensure you purchase no added salt ones (and ideally no added sugar either). There is already 2 tbsp of tamari soy sauce in these rolls and because we're using the liquid from the tin as well, it is best to have no salt chickpeas so that you can control how much is added.

Ingredients
400g can "no added salt" chickpeas, drained, but keep the liquid
50g ground flaxseed/linseed
50g soy & pea protein isolate (or fine maize meal, fine semolina, ground oats, etc)
50g walnuts
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
4 garlic cloves (minced)
2 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp sweet smoked paprika
1 tbsp mixed dried herbs (either pre-mix or 1 tsp of parsley & thyme & ½ tsp of oregano & marjoram)
1 tsp dried coriander leaf
1 tsp ground black pepper

2 sheets (25×25cm) vegan puff pastry

Method
  1. Whisk the aquafaba (chickpea liquid) until it is roughly double to triple its original volume and opaque. (I used my spice grinder to aerate the aquafaba.)
  2. I prefer to mash my filling with a potato masher so that I get some texture left in the chickpeas, but you can use a good processor if you'd prefer. Make sure that the bowl you're using the masher in allows the masher to reach the bottom of the bowl :)whistling: ). Set aside a handful of chickpeas and add the rest to a bowl along with everything else except for the puff pastry & half of the whisked aquafaba. If you're not using the pea protein isolate, substitute it for ground oats/oatmeal or even wheatgerm. Just bear in mind that you'll substantially reduce the protein in the final product and you'll probably not need all of the aquafaba to get the correct consistency. Mash thoroughly (it took me 2 to 3 minutes by hand) until your filling resembles sauages roll filling adding more aquafaba as needed. Add the reserved chickpeas and give another quick mash, then ensure everything is well mixed and set aside in the fridge for several hours. It should thicken in this time.
  3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
  4. Let the pastry defrost slightly so that you can roll it. Divide the filling into 4 portions adding more of the protein isolate powder (or finely milled oats/corn flour/maize meal/wheatgerm) if needed. You want to be able to roll it, but don't make it too dry else it won't be very nice.
  5. Take 1 quarter and roll into a long log the same length as your pastry. Place it on the pastry and roll it over taking the pastry with you. You'll need to cut the pastry close to the overlap and seal the overlap with water. How much of an overlap is up to you and how much pastry you like. Repeat with the other 3 quarters in turn. I get 2 rolls from my 25×25cm sheets. Then cut each of the 4 rolls in half to give you 8 decent sized "sauages" rolls. Gently score with a knife across the top, you can glaze then if you want, or spring with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Place on greaseproof paper on a baking tray and bake on the oven for 15-20 minutes, watching them carefully. Remember that with no egg glaze, they won't go as brown as usual giving that "cooked" look and it will be easy to dry them out too much.
I'm update the cooking instructions and photos either tonight or tomorrow when I cook this next batch.

I came across the original recipe in the Vegan Food & Living Spring 2019 Cookbook. Their reference is to Holly Jade of The Little Blog Of Vegan so I'll give that link Easy vegan sausage rolls. I didn't like the original recipe, it was too dry and also not a great amount of protein (5g) per "sausage" especially not when the calories (250kcal) were taken into account. So I've adapted the original recipe because the flavour was great.

They may have been too dry for you, but they look delicious!
It was just the filling that was very dry, so I'm trying again because it was actual very tasty with the herbs and spices in it (plus I can't get enough of chickpeas, I love them! )

This is resting in the fridge at the moment...

20230220_130756.jpg

Almost looks like the real thing. I'm considering adding a touch more smoked paprika tbh.

Last edited:
Beautiful Pea wellington I must say.
If you've problems with the right texture/moisture take a small amount of mass, Form it into a tiny hamburger and fry it.

Usually you'll know how the result will turn out, also the seasonings can be tested like that

Back
Top Bottom