Staff member
Local time
7:52 AM
Last edited by a moderator:
This might work, depending on availability, of course:

JUST Egg
VeganEgg | Follow Your Heart®

Those suggestions are compliments of my...veganiece! :laugh:
That looks intriguing. Made from Mung beans but the find a stockists just tells me not available in this location... :( probably not given I've not seen it anywhere or heard of it.

I'll add that whilst I have a 20 strong flock of chickens, my body/liver is exceptional good at producing cholesterol so I have to limit how many I eggs I eat to once a week. Sadly multiple bloods tests have proved this.

Chickpea flour (gram flour) is also a good substitute for use in quiches/tarts in place of egg custard.

Similarly aquafabia (the liquid from a can of beans or chickpeas) can be used to make vegan mayonnaise or meringues. I think I have a recipe for the former on the forum...

That looks intriguing. Made from Mung beans but the find a stockists just tells me not available in this location... :( probably not given I've not seen it anywhere or heard of it.

I'll add that whilst I have a 20 strong flock of chickens, my body/liver is exceptional good at producing cholesterol so I have to limit how many I eggs I eat to once a week. Sadly multiple bloods tests have proved this.
Have you checked this out (it’s based in Australia):

Egg substitute guide for vegan cooking

It looks quite interesting (and very thorough).

Chickpea flour (gram flour) is also a good substitute for use in quiches/tarts in place of egg custard.

Similarly aquafabia (the liquid from a can of beans or chickpeas) can be used to make vegan mayonnaise or meringues. I think I have a recipe for the former on the forum...
As Morning Glory says, but also tofu for scrambled egg and banana or pureed apple in baked goods such as brownies.

Chickpea flour also makes good pancakes.

...but what we really need is a substitute that looks like a whole egg with a runny yolk and a white that sets - the equivalent of the 'Impossible Burger'.

...but what we really need is a substitute that looks like a whole egg with a runny yolk and a white that sets - the equivalent of the 'Impossible Burger'.
Several years ago, my veganiece sent me a little thing where she was saying:

Anything you can make, I can make vegan!
Anything you can make, I can make, too!
Yes I can!

You know, like the song.

Not because I don't support that kind of thing, but I did respond with the pic of a fried egg. :whistling:

She said, "You found the one thing! Boo!" :laugh:

- - -
Not because I don't support that kind of thing, but I did respond with the pic of a fried egg. :whistling:

She said, "You found the one thing! Boo!" :laugh:
Ha-ha, my tiny paws knew how to type the correct search words.
Vegan fried eggs by Bianca Zapatka.
egg__.PNG

Image source

For a runny yolk just leave the "yolk" mix more liquid.

Last edited:
Ha-ha, my tiny paws knew how to type the correct search words.
Vegan fried eggs by Bianca Zapatka.
For a runny yolk just leave the "yolk" mix more liquid.
View attachment 70391

Not a bad attempt but that image is not from the recipe. If you view the pictures attached to the recipe, they wouldn't fool anyone. The faux yolks look grainy and desiccated and I can't imagine that 'adding more liquid' to the yolk mix would make them resemble runny yolks.

A better approach would be to create some sort of gel skin for the yolk with a liquid filling underneath, so that the liquid runs when you cut through it.

Not a bad attempt but that image is not from the recipe. If you view the pictures attached to the recipe, they wouldn't fool anyone. The faux yolks look grainy and desiccated and I can't imagine that 'adding more liquid' to the yolk mix would make them resemble runny yolks.

A better approach would be to create some sort of gel skin for the yolk with a liquid filling underneath, so that the liquid runs when you cut through it.
TastyReuben wasn't looking for a vegan fried egg with a runny yolk - just a fried one. Apparently you love loose yolks with a shiny coating and liquid inside. I agree that the grainy yolks in the recipe hardly resemble actual egg yolks.

I edited the image; the first one (
egg_.PNG
) was just an illustrated pic of a fried egg in general - not attempting to mimic Bianca Zapatka's output.

The gel skin issue came to my mind too. What if you made a rather liquid vegan mush (set enough to form a lump) and brushed it carefully with a combination of marmite, (nori powder), pectin/agar/xanthan gum, salt, water and oil or butter for a shiny glaze? Another option could be dipping a lump of moist vegan mush into e.g. corn starch and then deep-frying it for a second on top of a slotted spoon before glazing it 🤔.

Back
Top Bottom