1-2 chipotles (dried or with adobo)
3-4 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp salt
Pinch black pepper

Instructions
Marinade
Soak dried chipotles in ½ cup of warm water until soft. If you have chipotles in adobo sauce, skip this step. In a blender combine all of the ingredients except the eggplant and blend until well combined. This will be your marinade for both versions of this recipe.

Bacon
Using a mandolin, slice eggplant lengthwise into thin strips.

Baked Bacon
Preheat oven to 425F. Coat eggplant in a little bit of oil. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the eggplant pieces on.
Bake for about 7 minutes, flip and bake for another 4-5 minutes on the other side, until they begin to brown.
Remove the tray and let cool. Change the temperature of your oven to 350F.
Dip the eggplant into your marinade mixture. Place them back on the tray and bake for another 3-5 minutes until crispy.

Raw Version
In a large bowl, pour the marinade over the eggplant bacon slices. Toss to coat each slice in the mixture, and allow these to marinate for 30 – 60 minutes. Spread out your bacon slices on a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray. They should be lined in single layers. Dehydrate at 115F for 10-14 hours. Or until they meet your desired crispiness.

http://theedgyveg.com/2013/11/10/the-best-vegan-bacon-recipe-video-eggplant-bacon/

This actually looks very good and like something I would try. I agree that it would be really good on a sandwich. I am learning all kinds of new ways to cook eggplant. I have no idea that it could be cooked in so m any different ways. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have purchased eggplant but now I think I will be getting it more often.

That seriously does look pretty convincing! Would be delicious on a sandwich, I bet - and a whole lot less calories/fat than regular bacon too!
Per 100mg
Calories
24(2 from the fat) as opposed to 458 Calories(406 from the fat)*
Both in the raw state.
Fat
Zero as opposed to 45g

And a slight surprise in the fried state
777kJ (186kcal) compared to 2155kJ (515kcal)
94kJ (22kcal compared to 1573kJ (376kcal)

Last edited:
That seriously does look pretty convincing! Would be delicious on a sandwich, I bet - and a whole lot less calories/fat than regular bacon too!
You think? I feel like I have looked at this a million times and I don't know how I feel about it. The calories I get. But the taste and all that, I don't know if I am convinced.

Back
Top Bottom