Recipe Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Eggplant Torte)

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
9:02 AM
Vegan Heartache Cake.jpeg
Ingredients
1 1-lb eggplant
150 grams dark chocolate
1 banana
⅓ cup(5.551 161 230 9 ounce) maple syrup
¼ cup(2.081 685 461 6 ounce ) good quality raw cacao powder
½ cup(4.081 685 461 6 ounce) almond flour
2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
Coconut oil, for greasing pans
Dark chocolate, for garnish
Sliced almonds, for garnish

Instructions
  • Grease a loaf pan and line with a sheet of parchment paper.
  • Heat your oven to broil on the high setting. Grease a cookie sheet, then slice the eggplant lengthwise. Place on the cookie sheet, cut side down.
  • Broil for 20 minutes, or until the eggplant is cooked through and very soft. Remove the eggplant and reset the oven's heat to 350F/177°/4/Moderate/Medium.
  • While the eggplant cooks, melt 150 grams of chocolate over boiling water in a double boiler.
  • Let the cooked eggplant cool to the touch, then scrape the inside out of its skin. Add to a food processor, along with the banana, maple syrup and melted chocolate. Puree until smooth.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine the cacao powder, almond flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Mix well, then spoon the eggplant puree into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour into the greased loaf pan, bake at 350F for 40 minutes (the surface will rise and then fall).
  • Remove from the oven, let cool in the pan, grasp the parchment paper lining and use it to transfer the cake to a plate.
  • Refrigerate for minimum one hour to set the cake, then trim the top so the cake lies flat (optional). Invert on a serving plate, then sprinkle with sliced almonds, drizzle with melted chocolate, slice and serve.

Notes
The torte requires cooling for approximately two hours before you want to serve it, so plan ahead!

http://grokgrub.com/2014/04/06/vegan-heartache-cake-chocolate-eggplant-torte/VEGAN HEARTACHE CAKE (CHOCOLATE EGGPLANT TORTE)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go again. This is another one of those cake type recipes which use vegetables, but hey, you can't actually taste the vegetable in the finished result. I guess it must be meant to add texture. My list of things to cook is getting somewhat onerous...

Well done for finding a sweet recipe, though.

Here we go again. This is another one of those cake type recipes which use vegetables, but hey, you can't actually taste the vegetable in the finished result. I guess it must be meant to add texture. My list of things to cook is getting somewhat onerous...

Well done for finding a sweet recipe, though.
It's not the only one.

⅓ cup(5.551 161 230 9 ounce) maple syrup
¼ cup(2.081 685 461 6 ounce ) good quality raw cacao powder
½ cup(2.081 685 461 6 ounce) almond flour
I'm just curious though... If I was working in ounces, how accurate do I need to be? Even my scales in my chemistry PhD lab didnt weigh out to that many decimal places :whistling:

I did not see flour on the list of ingredients except for almond flour. I think this is one great recipe. If I were able to pull this off then I can make people at home who do not like vegetables to actually try without them knowing. Can I omit the almond flour? I am not sure if I will be able to find one.

This recipe could sit well in the my thread about baking with vegetables. Anyway it's breaking my heart looking at the Heartache Cake. How practical it is for me to try, I do not know, but it sure looks good.

I did not see flour on the list of ingredients except for almond flour. I think this is one great recipe. If I were able to pull this off then I can make people at home who do not like vegetables to actually try without them knowing. Can I omit the almond flour? I am not sure if I will be able to find one.
I wouldn't just omit the flour. Its needed for structure and density. Substitute AP flour instead. Or grind up almonds in a food processor to make almond flour! You can also make flour from other nuts, any of which would work in the Heartache recipe: http://www.thehealthymaven.com/2015/05/how-to-make-homemade-nut-flours.html

I am appreciative of the fact that I am learning new things in here, those recipes that I did not know are doable. I need not experiment on my own just to get the right mix of ingredients. I thought I did not see the flour as part of the main ingredients maybe I overlooked it but I am considering maybe omitting the AP should I not be able to find one.

Back
Top Bottom