Vegan Heartache Cake (revisited).

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:22 PM
Judges licence here in starting a new thread (I'm talking of The CookingBites Recipe Challenge, for which I have the honour of being the current judge). @classic33 entered a recipe for Vegan Heartache Cake (Chocolate Eggplant Torte).

I was sceptical! I was scathing! Aubergine/eggplant in a cake! I don't even like cakes... but.... its a wonderful recipe. I made it yesterday, decorated and photographed it today and this is how it turned out (my food photography is improving). I used a page of a food magazine for a backdrop in case you're wondering.

Its been tried and tested by everyone here. The taste is deep, dark and dangerously more-ish. Make this recipe. You won't regret it!

fullsizeoutput_4ccd.jpeg

Last edited:
It sounds very much like the recipe I made last year with olive oil in it in a chocolate cake. I didn't think it would work, but it did very successfully. I may have to experiment and purchase some more aubergines. This diet of mine was going Oh so well... I had lost 4kg so far... :cry: and we had just visited a supermarket that sold my favourite chocolate ice cream and I was a very naughty girl and bought some. The closest place to home that sells it is 18 miles away so I don't get it very often.... and this sounds so very good. Perhaps it can be my Christmas day treat instead? Now I think I am hatching an idea...

I once ate a slice of chocolate cake which had black treacle in it, no idea why but I was ill for a few days after and put me off chocolate cake for a long time, still not keen. The cake in question was made by an accomplished cook/baker family member and I was the only 1 that it didn't agree with.

It sounds very much like the recipe I made last year with olive oil in it in a chocolate cake. I didn't think it would work, but it did very successfully. I may have to experiment and purchase some more aubergines. This diet of mine was going Oh so well... I had lost 4kg so far... :cry: and we had just visited a supermarket that sold my favourite chocolate ice cream and I was a very naughty girl and bought some. The closest place to home that sells it is 18 miles away so I don't get it very often.... and this sounds so very good. Perhaps it can be my Christmas day treat instead? Now I think I am hatching an idea...

4kg loss is brilliant. :thumbsup: I'm on a permanent diet just to stay the same! I know you don't like bananas but you can't taste them in this recipe - and I'm pretty certain you could use just aubergines and omit the banana (2 aubergines instead of 1). In fact, I didn't use maple syrup but agave, so that saves some kcals.

As for your ice-cream - it seems to have about half the kcals of an average chocolate ice-cream. So its a good thing to have as a favourite!

I once ate a slice of chocolate cake which had black treacle in it, no idea why but I was ill for a few days after and put me off chocolate cake for a long time, still not keen. The cake in question was made by an accomplished cook/baker family member and I was the only 1 that it didn't agree with.
Black treacle can have a well known side effect. It was often given to cattle and pigs as a dietary supplement by the vet back before WWII and was used to treat all sorts of problems but one specifically... Whilst it has lots of vitamins and minerals in it, it also can act as a... well, just follow the link https://signatureremedies.com/54/7-home-remedies-for-constipation/

I had a bloated stomach and kept vomiting nothing else.
It may well have been totally unrelated then, but it's useful to know about black treacle, blackstrap molasses and those deep dark rich syrup sugars. They are full of really good vitamins and lots of minerals. They are also a great source of the B vitamins and potassium as well. I love it and can eat it off a tablespoon!

Wow! Let the record show that I never want to win the challenge. You're going to be a tough act to follow trying out all these things. It looks really good what you have produced if I can say so myself. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Wow! Let the record show that I never want to win the challenge. You're going to be a tough act to follow trying out all these things. I looks really good what you have produced if I can say so myself. Very impressive.
Thankyou @winterybella . I love cooking, that's all. I certainly wouldn't expect others to cook the recipes in the competition (who would have the time?). Its testimony to my dull life . :cry: I have to spice things up somehow! I'm retired, at home all day and I love to cook. Its my major hobby. I see it as fun. And I have to say, that I'm learning so much... cooking things I would never cook otherwise (witness the Potassium Blast revisited.) :D

Wow! Let the record show that I never want to win the challenge. You're going to be a tough act to follow trying out all these things. It looks really good what you have produced if I can say so myself. Very impressive.
Doesn't want to try my latest one.

Back
Top Bottom