Vegan Ice Cream

WhatsCookingMama

Local time
3:53 PM
I recently went to an ice cream tasting. The hosts focused on non dairy versions. Who knew avocado ice cream was so delicious!? Also cashew milk ice cream with ribbons on salted caramel thru out. I picked up this cookbook called the Vegan Scoop by Wheeler Del Torro. I have been impressed with all the flavor recipes. I don't follow the vegan diet. I'm intrigued with it though. I thought I share my find...
20190821_141358.jpg

I've not tried avocado icecream but the brand Booja Booja do amazing icecream (think it is cashew based). And I make nice icecream from slices of frozen banana- just take the frozen slices and add a splash if non dairy milk and blitz in a blender. Can add chocolate or peanut butter... very nice.

I think cashew based vegan ice creams are my favourite. Salted caramel ripple cashew, mmmm.

I also like a freshly made coconut milk one (my friend made one with saffron and lime ages ago), or I like making chocolate coconut. However, the coconut based ones in the store seem to have a lot of added ingredients to make it soft and scoopable that I find render it a tad icky. To be fair, once home made coconut ice cream has been in the freezer it turns into a complete rock, so that's why I don't make it more often. I should try experimenting to fix this, like by adding a tablespoon of alcohol, because I know that softens regular ice cream.

We tried both the Vegan flavors available at Baskin Robbins. An ice cream chain out here in California. A real flavor blast, but way overly sweet.
It's still a step in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom