SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
3:19 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Vegan Indian Potato Curry.jpg

Photographs by Morning Glory

What I love about this recipe is the number of herbs and spices in it and how easy it is really. The list of ingredients is long but simple and can be adapted to accommodate what is available, around and how many people are eating, and it is best left to mature for a few hours but... This volume serves 6 as a main meal.

Homemade Indian
Ingredients

1-2 tbsp. oil/vegetable ghee
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
½ tsp black mustard seeds
6 black cardamom pods slightly crushed
2-4 dried red chilies
1-2 tsp ground cumin
1-2 tsp ground coriander
1-2 tbsp sweet noble paprika
½ tsp ground turmeric
¼ - ½ tsp hot chili powder (to taste)
2 onions chopped roughly
4-5 large potatoes diced (more if not adding other veg)
2-3 tins chopped tomatoes (depends on how many it is feeding and how much tomato you want!)
2 tbsp tomato concentrate puree (a good squeeze!)
50-60g tamarind dates soaked and pushed through a sieve (don’t worry about volume of water too much, it will cook off)
25-50g palm sugar
1 sachet of cream of coconut (optional)
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp. chopped fresh (frozen) coriander

Method
Heat the oil, add the as asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black cardamom & dried red chilies and wait until the seeds start popping before adding the chopped onions.
Lower the heat and cook the onions until they are soft.
Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, paprika, turmeric and chili powder stirring into the onions and cook for a minute or two then add the potatoes and cook for another couple of minutes, stirring well.
Add the tinned tomatoes & tomato puree and cook until the mixture has a soft, silken appearance - add water (roughly 1 can (use to rinse out tins)) as needed to prevent sticking - suspect this was around 20-30 mins cooking time, can be longer as needed.
add the cream of coconut and cook for another 5 mins or so.
Add the tamarind and then enough palm sugar to taste - hard to explain but I make like the tartness of tamarind but the sugar is needed to counter this and the tomatoes. Cook so that the remaining water is cooked off and the potatoes just starting to break up.
Just before serving add the garam masala and chopped coriander and stir well.
Season to taste.

Extra veg such as peas can be added in the final cooking stages around the time of the tamarind and the water from the tamarind dates used to cook the peas/beans/greens etc.

Serve with rice and chapatti.

Vegan Indian Potato Curry_.jpg

Wow, you got a lot going on there. I just started cooking Indian dishes a few months ago and it's been great. I've made samosa, and Boondi masala. I love the spices, it really takes your dishes to the next level. I will try this one, thanks

As promised, I made this recipe today. This is the best photo I think.

IMGP1470.jpg

Cooking notes: I made half quantity of the recipe but used whole quantity of the spices as otherwise I would have had to measure 1/4 tsp of things! It all worked to plan but needed longer cooking than suggested for the potatoes (about 45 mins), though you did say it could be more or less time! Obviously, if the potatoes were cut smaller, it would be less time, so it may be that I cut them too big.

I was interested that there is no garlic, ginger or turmeric in the recipe. That is a bit unusual for most curry recipes. But it worked really well! Taste tested by my partner who loved it! I didn't use the cream of coconut as I'm not keen on it and didn't have any!

Here is another photo not (IMHO) so good but coud be used:,

IMGP1473.jpg

I also meant to say that I really like the whole seeds in the final dish!

Back
Top Bottom