Recipe Vegan Jacket Potato & Cheese Soup

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:28 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is from my Sweet Bones recipe book. We only got the book when out came out in October last year. It sold out very quickly so we were very glad that we had pre-ordered it to collect it in store. The result is that we have a signed cookbook. One of several over the years. The advantage of purchasing the cookbook in the cafe when you see it.

The recipe serves a lot. It says 6. looking at the amount of potatoes, is reckon it serves a few more than that. The theme of the soup seems to be a jacket potato and cheese veganised and obviously made into a soup. We're gong away soon, so this sort of soup appeals to me. It had few very fresh ingredients in it and the sort of veg you end up left with just before a holiday. (OK, maybe you don't end up with 2kg of potatoes but because I grow them, I usually do have that quantity and more available).

Ingredients
5 tbsp macadamia oil
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot , chopped
3 cloves garlic, pressed
2kg (8-10 medium) potatoes, roughly chopped
2L water
2 vegetable stock cubes
¼ tsp smokey paprika
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
½ cup nutritional yeast
¼ L soy milk
2 tbsp margarine

Method
  1. In a large heavy bottomed pan, hear the oil. Add the onions and let them start to brown, roughly 5 minutes.
  2. Add the carrots and garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
  3. Add the potatoes, water, stock, paprika, seasoning and nutritional yeast. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are staring to fall apart.
  4. Allow to cool before adding the soya milk and dairy free margarine, then blend with either a stick blender or liquidiser until smooth. Reheat as needed and serve.

The only thing I will say now, is that I plan to halve the quantity of soup because I only want 4 servings, not 8. Oh and the nutritional yeast I use is an American one which is a powder not flakes and so much nicer than any others I've come across.

Last edited:
Neat - I note you are killing two birds with one stone - the Recipe Challenge and The Cookbook game?

Observations:
  • There is a quite lot of nutritional yeast in that recipe. Its strange to me because potato soups are generally easily 'veganised' (simply sub plant milk for dairy). I use nutritional yeast but really only a tablespoon (at most) in a recipe. But I suppose it might because the recipe serves six. Or more!
  • That is a huge amount of potatoes! Especially as its a soup and liquid will be added.
  • The amount of paprika is tiny in relation to quantity of potatoes.

I use nutritional yeast but really only a tablespoon (at most) in a recipe
That's a tiny amount. I've got recipes that say ½ cup nutritional yeast for 4 people and they are talking powdered form, not flakes!

That is the recipe in the book! And they sell it in the cafe

Plus cookieee did say to cook exactly to cookbook first time around.

Last edited:
I think it's meant to be more of a jacket potato with cheese soup than a potato soup. I'll let you know how successful that is when I make it on Wednesday.

Jacket potato? Surely the potato would be cooked in its jacket then... where is the 'cheese' element' ? Nutritional yeast?

Sorry it sounds as if I'm being very critical! I'm just trying to understand the recipe as written.

Jacket potato? Surely the potato would be cooked in its jacket then... where is the 'cheese' element' ? Nutritional yeast?

Sorry it sounds as if I'm being very critical! I'm just trying to understand the recipe as written.
You and me both. Stuffed potatoes soup. Stuffed potatoes are often jacket potatoes with contents removed, mashed and something added, then put back in. Cheese, yes from the nutritional yeast, its a very common substitute for cheese flavour. Add that to paprika, margarine, garlic and soy milk, vegan cheese sauce type ingredients (often Senn inn my American books)... hence cheesey stuffed potato soup... jackets potatoes, cheese... lines of thought. It's all I've got

Ok, both of us were pleasantly surprised by this soup. I followed the recipe almost to the letter. The last part being the but that got missed due to hubby serving the soup before I had actually finished it, but I was elsewhere out of the house closing up the chickens for the night and it had been served unblended and without the soya milk and margarine being added, before I had returned.

So, even when I got home from the doctors, I could tell by the aroma in the kitchen that it was going to be a nice soup. I had prepped the soup knowing I was going to be out of the house for several hours, and being short of time I had cut the potatoes into large chunks. I had needed 17 tatties to get to 2kg, so just cut them into 12 pieces each and straight into the pot. I'd then put a lid on it, set the timer on the ring for an hour and left. The tatties were meant to be cooked until they fell apart anyway (mine were refusing that last bit btw!) So it really didn't matter.

Taste, well it is definitely a cheesy potato soup. I'd imagine if it were liquidised then it would be very much like cheesy potato mash soup, instead it's potatoes in a cheesy broth. And it works, and works well.

It definitely needed ½cup of nutritional yeast and if yours is flakes rather than a powder, it will need more.

We had to purchase a different variety of nutritional yeast some time ago. At the time I wasn't impressed. I liked the one we had and the other wasn't Australian and was much more expensive (small container costs ...). The difference when we finally got around to trying it was staggering and I now but only this brand and get out online much cheaper. It makes all the difference.
20190814_183337.jpg

The soup is tasty, filling and one we'd make again. Changes? More paprika possibly. More garlic maybe... otherwise my assumption regarding stock was correct (I went with 3tbsp of my bullion powder, not the 2 tsp that 2 cubes could suggest).

The soup isn't much to look at, but taste is what is more important to us.

20190814_180253.jpg
20190814_180258.jpg

It does actually look 'cheesy' despite the fact it has no cheese in it. What's that on top?
The crispy outer of some protein bites that we put in the oven. I removed 3 from mine to show the soup or at least try to. I try to include protein within offer evening meals, saves on waking up hungry in the night and does help considerably with my diet.

Hubby had said he'd have me make it again so that means it has the thumbs up.

Back
Top Bottom