Vegan Mayo - update

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:38 AM
Well I' finally got round to trying the vegan (no egg) mayo recipe made from the juice in cans of beans. See Vegan - Aquafaba. I was sceptical... I mean, mayonnaise from bean water? But as I'm allergic to mayo (I get a horrible sick feeling for hours after I eat it), I thought this might work for me.

Well it did!!!! Its amazing and so simple to do. I put the bean water in a large beaker and whizzed it up with a stick blender then added olive oil gradually whizzing up as I went. It took all of four minutes to end up with a thick mayonnaise which tasted like the real thing. Maybe it tasted a little lighter, but that's no bad thing. I added a squirt of lemon juice and a pinch of salt and then ate a large dollop with some salad. And guess what, NO ALLERGIC REACTION! I tried it out on my son and he thought it was real mayo. This is an amazing trick.... I'm now going to try the other recipes suggested.

:dance::dance::woot:.

Last edited:
You can use yogurt ,or for the vegan option avocado or coconut yogurt ,
Water emulsifies oil ,a mustard will hold it and special oils and seeds for flavour ,lemon juice for acid to cut the oil

Well I' finally got round to trying he vegan (no egg) mayo recipe made from the juice in cans of beans. See Vegan - Aquafaba. I was sceptical... I mean, mayonnaise from bean water? But as I'm allergic to mayo (I get a horrible sick feeling for hours after I eat it), I thought this might work for me.

Well it did!!!! Its amazing and so simple to do. I put the bean water in a large beaker and whizzed it up with a stick blender then added olive oil gradually whizzing up as I went. It took all of four minutes to end up with a thick mayonnaise which tasted like the real thing. Maybe it tasted a little lighter, but that's no bad thing. I added a squirt of lemon juice and a pinch of salt and then ate a large dollop with some salad. And guess what, NO ALLERGIC REACTION! I tried it out on my son and he thought it was real mayo. This is an amazing trick.... I'm now going to try the other recipes suggested.

:dance::dance::woot:.
that is fantastic and is a great use for that protein rich water that we normally throw away. I shall have to try it out now!

You can use yogurt ,or for the vegan option avocado or coconut yogurt ,
Water emulsifies oil ,a mustard will hold it and special oils and seeds for flavour ,lemon juice for acid to cut the oil
All good ideas. I often do make yoghurt version and when I make a French dressing I use mustard to form a thick emulsion. But, the interesting thing about the bean water is that it doesn't add any other taste (which yoghurt or mustard does). The result looks and tastes exactly like egg mayo. My son couldn't tell the difference at all!

Last night I added some crushed garlic to make Aioli. Fantastic!

I was thinking the balloon whisk on the kenwood chef might make life easier.
I'm sure it would... I'm now wondering (apart from the other recipes in the link) if there might be other things one could do with the magic bean water. Do you think there are many calories in bean water? I'm assuming not as most of the calories must be in the beans themselves.

There will be some because of the protein which is causing this effect, how much is another matter.
Meringue is another I have seen stated as an option... I will have to give a link later - family matter has arisen and we have a long car journey ahead of us this evening.

I'm sure it would... I'm now wondering (apart from the other recipes in the link) if there might be other things one could do with the magic bean water. Do you think there are many calories in bean water? I'm assuming not as most of the calories must be in the beans themselves.
You swapped your cow for the beans!

Back
Top Bottom