Recipe Vegan 'Parmesan'

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
7:41 AM
A month ago I wouldn't have even thought about looking for recipes for vegan 'parmesan' - but my son has turned vegan so I'm looking for substitutes for lots of things. This recipe is from The Minimalist Baker website. She notes: "This is not my original recipe, but one I learned from other vegan bloggers and have adapted for my own use".

I made a batch earlier. Its easy to make and I happened to have all the ingredients - and apparently it keeps quite well. Source: How To Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Ingredients:
  • 100 g raw cashews
  • 10g nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 - 3/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or grinder. process to a fine consistency. Store in and airtight jar and keep in the fridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that sounds good. Not sure if it will taste like Parmesan though the yeast may help the flavor profile.

Its a good substitute. Yes, @Cinisajoy, the yeast adds the roundness and depth of flavour. Not quite the sharp tang of the real thing though. But good!
Well now if you don't tell someone it is not real Parmesan, they might taste Parmesan.
I once had the most delicious peach cobbler ever. It tasted just like a peach cobbler. Now you might be thinking that's not uncommon. Everyone else that ate that cobbler tasted apples.
I guess I had my heart set on peaches so brain turned apples into peaches for me.

It will also be a great seasoning, but do not call it a substitute for Parmesan because it is not. Parmesan cheese is another thing. I do not understand why associating Parmesan word with something that has nothing to do with it. You can call it in a thousand other ways, the "quotation marks" are not enough.

It will also be a great seasoning, but do not call it a substitute for Parmesan because it is not. Parmesan cheese is another thing. I do not understand why associating Parmesan word with something that has nothing to do with it. You can call it in a thousand other ways, the "quotation marks" are not enough.

I'm just quoting the original author's title for the recipe which for copyright reason I can't really change. I don't object as much as you (although I understand your POV). It is intended as a substitute for parmesan for vegans and not as a general seasoning and that is exactly how I used it - so in a way its a shortcut to call it 'parmesan' as otherwise it would have to be called 'seasoning to use in place of parmesan'!

I'm just quoting the original author's title for the recipe which for copyright reason I can't really change. I don't object as much as you (although I understand your POV). It is intended as a substitute for parmesan for vegans and not as a general seasoning and that is exactly how I used it - so in a way its a shortcut to call it 'parmesan' as otherwise it would have to be called 'seasoning to use in place of parmesan'!

Oh yes I have perfectly understand all. The key is the name Parmesan, substitute or not. And she wrote how to do vegan parmesan...Is not correct because there are a lot of words she could use instead of the word Parmesan. "Seasoning to use on pasta".. and stop. It's only my point of view.

@morning glory

It is an interesting seasoning ..

Did you use on pasta ?

Yes! Pasta with pesto:

20170803_204754.jpg

@MypinchofItaly

I had thought same ..

Perhaps, she served The Pesto on the side, as her son is Vegan ..

Have a wonderful day ..

Its all mixed in with the pasta (vegan pesto) - sun dried tomatoes, basil, pine-nuts, garlic and some of that 'cheese' whizzed up together. Perhaps I didn't make quite enough so it doesn't show very well.

@morning glory

It is a lovely dish .. Clear, on the whizzed up cashews & yeast crumbs ..

None the less, it would be great for my dad .. I am going to send the recipe to my mom ..

I would like to prepare it as well .. My adventurous streak !!

Travelling and off to the valleys of the Basque Country, of Álava ( Surely you know The Red Wines of Rioja Alavesa ) .. This región has a Museum of Gastronomy called Zubiko Etxea .. It is an incredibly beautiful small manor house surrounded by gardnes and the specialty of this museum are its pecularities of the Basque Cuisines.

The various romos house a variety of machinery related to the world of cooking and the associated trades, and the documentation of the Basque Gastronomy in a salón - Library. The Basque Academy of Gastronomy initially, was in charge of the Museum .. However, now it is run by a variety of Guilds and Gastronomic Associations .. It promotes all Basque products grown on its own lands and has an enormous collection of menus dating back to the 1800s, showing the evolution of the Basque Cuisines and their key players, the Basque Chefs from the 1800s to present.

This región of Álava is known for its Boletus Eduli wild mushrooms, wild violet artichokes, and the dessert Goxua, which is: a type of tart, soaked in Basque spirits ( liquors ), indigenious to the región, and the most famous Basque liquor is the Patxarin, which is prepared from wild berries and is a rosé wine soft red color and the tart is soaked in this liquor or group of indigenious liquors, and then prepared with a pastry cream and caramel sauce ..

Have a wondeful weekend ..

Long trip to The fishing villages of Vizcaya ..

Back
Top Bottom