2 tbsp oil
1/2 lb mushrooms, chopped
1 small onion, diced
2 tsp Dill or parsley, chopped
2.5oz (60-70g) plain flour (1/2 cup)
Salt, pepper - to taste

Method
  • Wash, peel and dice potatoes.
  • Boil the potatoes with bay leaf until fully cooked.
  • While potatoes are cooking, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
  • Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan and cook on medium-low heat mixing occasionally until all the liquid evaporated. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
  • Cook for another 5 minutes until mixture starts to brown.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • add the dill to the pan with mushrooms, mix and take off the heat.
  • Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them well and mash. Season to taste.
  • Cool the potatoes.
  • Add flour and mix well.
  • Take about 2 tablespoons of potato dough and flatten into a disk, place one spoonful of mushroom mixture and cover with more potato dough. Form into a disk.
  • Once all the potato cakes are assembled, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
  • Place potato cakes on the pan and fry about 5 minutes until they turn golden, flip and fry another 5 minutes until golden.
  • Serve with leftover mushroom mixture if any left, some lemon juice, mustard or horseradish.
Comments

- You can omit flour or add less than the recipe calls for. I like flour as it makes the potatoes easier to handle, but it certainly isn't necessary.

- Filling can vary. You can add different herbs like thyme, for example, or parsley. Or add bell peppers.

Found on whilst looking at another recipe. I can feel another addition to the shopping list coming on!
http://www.imagelicious.com/blog/vegan-potato-cakes-stuffed-with-mushroom

What a coincidence! I've been experimenting with potato dough (ever since the last Cookingbites Recipe Challenge), using the super-quick cheat's method of mixing Smash (instant potato) with flour and adding water to make a dough. This morning I made my partner, potato cakes stuffed with garlic mushrooms. I just fried chopped mushrooms and fried in butter and garlic with a shake of white pepper to make the filling. Exactly the same principle and they looked quite like the picture above!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom