Recipe Vegan Red Lentil and Red Pepper Indian Curry

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
10:36 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
This is one of my creations that has not only worked out really well but is also surprisingly low calorie, packed with protein and quite substantial. It will serve 6-8 without rice quite generously, so you may need to adjust the quantities and you are going to need a large pan!
The list of spices may look intimidating but don't worry about it too much. Prepare it all in advance and have them ready to throw into the cooking as they are needed and it will soon become second nature.

It contains no less than 4 different red pepper varieties for the current cookingbites recipe challenge, red peppers, fresh red chilies, red chilli powder and finally paprika.

Ingredients.
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 onions, roughly chopped

4-6 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
1 thumb of ginger, grated or crushed
2 fresh red chilies, deseeded and sliced
Pinch of asafoetida (if available)
1/2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/4-1/2 tsp ground chilli powder (to taste)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp paprika
50-100g tamarind dates (2-3 tbsp tamarind concentrate if fresh dates are not available, but watch the salt content of the concentrate)
2 tbsp Garam masala
2-3 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped

2-3 carrots, diced
2 red peppers, deseeded and diced
350g split red lentils
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2-3tbsp tomato concentrate
1L vegetable stock (Swiss Marigold is what I use)
200g (dried weight) TVP/Soya chunks
250g frozen broad beans or peas
1L water to add as needed

Method

1. A couple of hours before making the curry, soak the tamarind dates in boiling water. Don't worry about how much water just ensure that the dates are pulled apart if in a block and completely covered. Just before making the curry put the date through a sieve using a spoon to ensure you get as much date pulp as possible. If necessary soak the remaining pulp in booking water a second time. This is about flavour and you want ad much of it as possible.
  2. In a frying pan, heat the oil then add the garlic, ginger, fresh chilies, asafoetida, yellow and black mustard seeds, turmeric, chilli powder, ground coriander and ground cumin. When the smell of raw ginger has faded, add the onions and stir.
  3. When the onions start to go opaque add the diced carrots and red peppers and cook for a few minutes.
  4. Next add the red lentils and stir well ensuring that all of the lentils get a coating of oil and spices.
  5. Now add the tinned tomatoes, tomato concentrate and 1L of veg stock and bring to a simmer.
  6. Add the tamarind pulp that has gone through the sieve, plus the soya chunks and cover the pan and simmer for 45-60 minutes. Watch the pot to ensure there is enough liquid at all times and that the lentils don't stick to the bottom of the pan. Add more water as needed.
  7. 10 minutes before serving add the peas/broad beans, Garam masala and fresh coriander. You want the curry reasonably runny but not too liquid so add more water if needed.
  8. Serve over rice if wanted but we found it wasn't needed.

Where is the picture @SatNavSaysStraightOn? You are going to have to call in photographer @morning glory. I had to look up 'asafoetida' and feel sure it would be difficult to find. I am happy to try my own version with whatever I can put my hands on.
Asafoetida can easily be left out, it's not compulsory :D. I bought the resin off the Internet (from a UK shop I know) and ground it down myself. I'm going to have to repeat that when I get to Australia... :cry:

As for the picture, imagine a reddish brown mass with red spots (red chilies or red peppers) with brownish chunks in it... Its not particularly photogenic, but exceptionally tasty. I hadn't thought to include the recipe until my OH asked me to write it down before I forgot it because he target liked it and would like it again. :okay:

@SatNavSaysStraightOn is a brilliant photographer herself. Check out her photos by clicking on the link at the bottom of her post! Wonderful stuff!
How could I forget? Thanks for the reminder. Had another look today. Beautiful! I last had a look many months ago when the subject came up.

I also know when @SatNavSaysStraightOn talks about some things not being camera friendly but are quite tasty so I will paint my own pictures in my mind.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom