Recipe Vegan Warrigal Greens, Sorrel & Garlic Scapes Pesto

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
4:27 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have to confess there are times when I write out the title to what I've just made and know others will be thinking :scratchhead: or :o_o: and I think this might just be one of those recipes.

So, I raided the veg plot. I have 3 varieties of sorrel growing in it. I used one called Sheep's Sorrel (Rumex acetosella), that's small leafed and grows from runners under the ground and once you've got it, you can happily rip up masses of it without killing the plant. But any sorrel will do. I do know that Sheep's sorrel grows worldwide.

Next - Warrigal Greens (Tetragonia tetragonioides) or New Zealand Spinach is a native plant to Australia. I happen to have some growing in my veg plot after buying a pot a few years back. If you can't get hold of it, switch it out for any other green leafed plant such as wild garlic or even spinach.

Raw (unblanched)

Blanched

Garlic Scapes: these you won't be able to buy unless you have a garlic farm nearby who know the value of the entire plant, not just the bulbs it you grow your own garlic. They are the unopened flower buds and stem that you are meant to break off to encourage the garlic bulb to get bigger rather than the plant waste energy flowering. They definitely taste and smell of garlic. If you grow your own garlic you'll have some. Otherwise just substitute with more garlic.

Finally Native Peppersalt. It's a salt blend that includes mountain pepperberry, mountain pepperleaf (Tasmannia lanceolata) and wattleseed. Mountain pepperberry that's native to alpine regions of Australia. It's about 5 times hotter than standard black pepper corns. You'll not be able to substitute the pepperberry salt mix with anything that's close to it in flavour, so just season to taste.

Ingredients (makes 8 portions).
75-80g or 1 cup (firmly-packed) Sorrel leaves
75-80g or 1 cup (firmly-packed) Warrigal Green, young leaves & flower buds only
100-120 g (⅔ cup) mixed pine nuts & walnuts, lightly toasted
1 large handful of garlic scrapes (handful as in bunch of flowers holding the long stalks)
1 tbsp lime juice
160 ml (⅔ cup) olive oil
1½-2 tsp native peppersalt mix (or salt & pepper to taste)

Notes.
If you're using anything other than very young warrigal green leaves, you'll need to blanch them first, then drain well and pat dry. I have plenty of young leaves. Like sorrel, it contains oxalic acid and the older the leaf, the stronger the acid etc and too much can be bad for you, but too much is a lot and frequently unless you're prone to kidney stones etc)

Method
Put everything in a food processor and process until smooth.
If you like a few pieces of pine nuts (or other nuts) in the end product, reserve 20g and add them at the end and blitz one more time for a few moments until desired chunkiness is achieved.
Decant into storage jars, top with a layer of olive oil (to a depth of a 5mm with no pesto breaking through the oil barrier) and seal. Store in fridge or freezer until you want to use it.

It looks pretty much like any green pesto really! And tastes unlike any shop bought green pesto.

Edited to correct name of garlic scapes.
Edited again to add measurements in grams & additional pictures

PS, no credits because it's an amalgamation of various recipes using wild or foraged foods and then made dairy free because of my dairy allergy.

Last edited:
In the interest of understanding foods I've never heard of, I looked up the ingredients you listed. I actually had heard of sorrel, but didn't know much about it. A search on warrigal yielded a type of dingo/dog, but tetragonia tetragonioides worked. I have about zero chance of finding that in the US, but regular spinach is easy to find.

As for garlic scrapes, did you mean garlic scapes? I know what those are, although I have never eaten them, as far as I know. I can get those, and would probably like them. I'm thinking I would substitute pecans for walnuts, and use pistachios in place of pine nuts (as I do in my normal pesto).

Is Sichuan peppersalt a reasonable substitute for Australian peppersalt? No way I can get wattleseed.

It sounds like an interesting pesto. It may be hard to replicate your exact recipe outside of Australia or New Zealand. Substitutions will be required.

CD

A search on warrigal yielded a type of dingo/dog, but tetragonia tetragonioides worked.
It's 'warrigal greens' rather than warrigal, but that's why I included the scientific names.

As for garlic scrapes, did you mean garlic scapes?
Yes, I think I probably do! Lol. I'll edit the title and a few other entries.

I'm thinking I would substitute pecans for walnuts, and use pistachios in place of pine nuts (as I do in my normal pesto).
Yep, any nut or even seed substitutes you like will be fine.

Is Sichuan peppersalt a reasonable substitute for Australian peppersalt?
I don't know Sichuan peppersalt or even Sichuan pepper to be honest, so couldn't comment on how close it would be.

I can buy Sichuan pepper corns, and could add them to the shopping list to compare. I'm not certain I have mountain pepperberry or mountain pepperleaf, though... I'll see what's in the shops tomorrow.

I actually had heard of sorrel, but didn't know much about it
Sheep's sorrel grows world wide and definitely includes USA, as do quite a good many other sorrel including wood sorrel. Both can be found in the wild and in the garden as weeds.

It's 'warrigal greens' rather than warrigal, but that's why I included the scientific names.

Yes, I think I probably do! Lol. I'll edit the title and a few other entries.

Yep, any nut or even seed substitutes you like will be fine.

I don't know Sichuan peppersalt or even Sichuan pepper to be honest, so couldn't comment on how close it would be.

I can buy Sichuan pepper corns, and could add them to the shopping list to compare. I'm not certain I have mountain pepperberry or mountain pepperleaf, though... I'll see what's in the shops tomorrow.

Sichuan peppersalt is just Sichuan peppercorn and kosher salt that are heated until aromatic, cooled, and then blended together. I used my makeshift spice grinder, AKA cheap electric coffee grinder.

CD

A search on warrigal yielded a type of dingo/dog, but tetragonia tetragonioides worked. I have about zero chance of finding that in the US, but regular spinach is easy to find
Interestingly I've found that it's native in a few countries other than Australia and New Zealand. Those are Chile, Argentina and Japan.

Back
Top Bottom