2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsps garam masala
2 small carrots, diced
1 medium potato, diced
4-5 florets cauliflower, cut into small pieces
50 gms green beans, cut into pieces (you can use peas instead)
25 gms raisins
25 gms cashew nuts
4 tbsps plain yoghurt
Salt
Vegetable stock
Pinch of saffron dissolved in 25 mls milk
Coriander leaves

Method:
  • Cook the rice until about 80% done, then drain and set aside
  • Heat the butter or ghee (be generous!) in a large pan . Add the onions and cook until they are well-browned . Be careful not to burn them. Remove ans set aside.
  • Now stir fry the garlic, ginger and chiles for about 1 minute. Add the cardamoms, cinnamon and bay leaves and stir for 30 seconds or so.
  • Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and 1 tsp of the garam masala. Stir quickly, then add all the vegetables and stir for a couple of minutes until they´re well coated with the spices.
  • Now add 3/4 of the onions, a little vegetable stock and the yoghurt. Mix well together and add more stock, just covering the veg. Add the cashews and the raisins and simmer until the sauce has reduced and the vegetables are just "al dente".
  • Pour the vegetable mixture into an ovenproof dish. Cover with the rice. Gently pour the saffron mixture over the rice. Sprinkle the remaining onions over the top and decorate with the coriander leaves.
  • Seal the dish with a tight-fitting lid (traditionally, a strip of dough, then the lid on top) and bake in the oven at 180º/365º for about 15-20 minutes.
Biryani vegetables 1.jpg
Biryani vegetables 2.jpg
Biryani vegetables 3.jpg

A lovely vegetarian recipe here, which could easily be made vegan. I love the use of saffron which is one of my top favourite spices.
I am with you on that, MG, saffron is wonderful.

The end result is lovely!

Back
Top Bottom