Vegetable marrow is back in season

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:00 PM
The poor much maligned marrow... also known as Summer squash. Its derided by chefs as being watery and tasteless. But I absolutely adore it - to me it has a delicate and fragrant flavour and I much prefer it to it brash grassy cousin the courgette. The great thing is that it soaks up other flavours and if you put it in a spicy sauce and cook it for 20 mins or so it won't disintegrate into a mush.

I know I'm not entirely alone here because I believe @Herbie loves marrow too.

Here is my first recipe this season - Monkfish & Marrow Curry. I'll post the recipe later:

fullsizeoutput_50e2.jpeg

I know I'm not entirely alone here because I believe @Herbie loves marrow too.View attachment 31608

I certainly do. I was just looking at a marrow chutney recipe yesterday. We had steamed marrow and peas with grilled salmon and a herb/oil/lemon dressing on Sunday.

I've not tried it in curry. Maybe this weekend after I've tried one of the pancake recipes I've selected for this month's challenge.

I must have had a bad experience with marrow as a young un. I don't mind courgettes though! We grow them.

Russ

You probably did. If its overcooked it becomes an insipid watery mushy thing. Cooking in a sauce is the way to go.

The poor much maligned marrow... also known as Summer squash. Its derided by chefs as being watery and tasteless. But I absolutely adore it - to me it has a delicate and fragrant flavour and I much prefer it to it brash grassy cousin the courgette. The great thing is that it soaks up other flavours and if you put it in a spicy sauce and cook it for 20 mins or so it won't disintegrate into a mush.

I know I'm not entirely alone here because I believe @Herbie loves marrow too.

Here is my first recipe this season - Monkfish & Marrow Curry. I'll post the recipe later:

View attachment 31608

Looks a little like rattatulie!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom