Vegetables and dining out.

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
2:11 PM
When I incorporate vegetables in my meals, they are usually a significant portion of the meal. Often I will do two different vegetables with a meal and I certainly provide options when I am entertaining.

When dining out, vegetables seem to always be neglected. Two carrot slices and a spear of broccoli is not a vegetable serving. French fries are not vegetables either - nor is the ketchup. Okay - it is usually not fries but some other starch when I eat but still not a vegetable.

In this day and age where we are being told to eat our fruits and vegetables, it would be nice to dine out and get an actual serving of them. Yes, I can pay extra and order a salad at many places, but it would be nice if the vegetables served with the meal were something more than a colourful distraction on the plate. Do we need to be demanding more greens from our restaurants?

I suppose it depends on where you eat...any reputable vegetarian restaurants where you go to? With regular restaurants, yes, the vegetables are more like decoration than something intended to nourish. Might seem boorish to ask for extra or double anything, too--and if they charge for that, might as well have ordered an extra side.

I love vegetables but when we are eating out in a restaurant or food shops we don't order it for the reason we are just aware how it is handled and prepared and if it is safe to eat. We rather eat vegetables at home because we really clean it very well first before cooking or preparing it for garnishing or as decoration in any dish.

Back
Top Bottom