Vegetables you dislike

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:22 PM
OK - Brussels sprouts may be top of the list for many people. But I love them. There aren't many veg I dislike but I'm not keen on sweet vegetables - sweet potato, corn, carrots. Which vegetables do you dislike (if any)? If you dislike a vegetable, is it to do with your childhood memories of it?

Last edited:
Kale and Lima beans.

Kale I understand - its a bit tough, fiberous & scratchy as vegetables go. Although, there are varieties which are tender when young. Lima beans? Now I think these are what are known in the UK as Butter beans. But here they are dried, white beans and are easily bought cooked in cans.

If I Google I find green lima beans - presumably fresh ones which I've never tasted. But the white ones are so delicious to me - I love the dry and waxy combination in the texture and their sweetish state.

So pray tell - which kind of lima beans do you mean?

Kale, squash of just about any kind, sweet potatoes, most greens like collard greens, chard, mustard greens and turnip greens, rhubarb, I hate that stuff for sure, not that crazy about spinach, and I know mushrooms aren't a veg but culinarily, they're kind of grouped that way, so I'll include those nasty little buggers as well.

Probably others that I'm just blocking from my memory. I don't really know why I hate them beyond the usual - taste and/or texture.

I love sprouts, though!

Kale, squash of just about any kind, sweet potatoes, most greens like collard greens, chard, mustard greens and turnip greens, rhubarb, I hate that stuff for sure, not that crazy about spinach, and I know mushrooms aren't a veg but culinarily, they're kind of grouped that way, so I'll include those nasty little buggers as well.

Probably others that I'm just blocking from my memory. I don't really know why I hate them beyond the usual - taste and/or texture.

I love sprouts, though!

I have home grown sprouts in the fridge.

Russ

I love collards the way I make them, not so much others, same for Craig's bro. Same thing with Swiss chard, some grated garlic and red pepper flakes sauteed lightly in a bit of EVOO, then chard lightly sauteed until just wilted; spinach same way. Trick is to not over cook and bring out strong flavors, besides turning gray.

I'm not fond of turnips, just don't like taste. Don't like Lima beans either, green ones, don't think I've seen white. Lima and butter beans are 2 separate things here.

Brussel sprouts can't be over cooked, too strong of a taste. Red cabbage is fine, white is iffy. I'll eat homemade sauerkraut, but not commercially made, too strong.

Can't think of anything else now.

I love sprouts, though!

Gosh...apart from sprouts (I love them too) you killed lots of vegetables! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom